General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to check ABS computer???

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 04:22 AM
Unregistered
Default How to check ABS computer???

Hey alll... I have a 1994 Accord EX and I think there is a problem with my brakes.. Ever since I got the car, the ABS light has been on... Lately I've noticed that the brakes don't have much pressure and the braking sucks pretty bad... just did the rotors and pads about 25k ago... Can anyone tell me what could be wrong or how to check to see whats wrong??

Old 12-10-2006, 05:14 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: How to check ABS computer???

The ABS fault and your complaint of poor braking are 2 different problems. You should be able to jumper the BLUE 2 pin connector at the top of the passenger side kick panel, turn on the key and get a 'flash' code for the ABS.
You might have a brake master cylinder going bad, try a creep down test; hold the brake pedal with steady pressure and see if it creeps to the floor.
How many miles on this creampuff?

Old 12-11-2006, 12:03 AM

If it is the ABS module the part is $1500.00 It seems lately this is happening alot, if we complain to American Honda we might get them to fix it. There is me another guy that I responded to earlier tonight.

Old 12-11-2006, 02:25 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

i have seen a lot of modulators leak and cause the abs lite to come on,,,,,,but like the Dude said, you need to read the code and post it.......Also, chk to make sure abs reservoir is full

As for the brake pedal feeling spongy,, that is a different issue again like Dude said, it could be a faulty brake master cylinder ( internal leak )

Old 12-23-2006, 04:32 PM
Unregistered

Alright... My car has 180k on it... Mostly highway mileage... I've put about 30k city miles on it since I got it... I jumped the BLUE 2 Pin connector and only got 1 single code from it luckly... Hope it's not too serious.. heres the flash pattern... + - + + .... + is the flash and - is the small pause... It did this single pattern twice and then the ABS light went off completely...

Old 12-23-2006, 09:19 PM
Super Moderator

Code 1-2 is for the pump motor
The first thing to do is check the 40amp fuse in the underhood ABS fuse box as well as the other fuses in the fuse box.
Next thng I'd do is pull the relay out and jumper across the larger size of the relay connectors to see if the ABSpump will actually run.

Old 12-25-2006, 11:50 PM
Unregistered

Well... The fuses are good, but I'm not sure about the Relay...I checked the relay with an Ohm meter and there was no continuity at all from any of the prongs to eachother... I jumped the prongs in the underhood ABS box and the ABS code read the same... so I'm not sure on this one... What can I do from here?... The hydrolic pump it an essential part for the braking, yes?

Old 01-01-2007, 02:24 PM
Unregistered

Anyone? And how do I know if the Pump Motor is running?

Old 01-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

If you put a jumper wire across the 2 larger terminals of the relay connector you should have heard the pump run. This isn't to clear or checkcodes this is going to see if the pump will run.
Next thing you could do to prove the pump motor is dead; go to the big 2 wire connector at the ABS unit and put 12 volts and ground to those connector terminals to see if the pump runs.
Put voltage and ground to the connectors that go to the unit ,not the connectors going back thru the harness.
The ABS pump has NOTHING to do with the workings of the PRIMARY brake system.

Old 01-03-2007, 09:20 PM
Unregistered

OK, I started up my car and drove it around the neighborhood for about 5 mins and tried the creep test on the brake pedal... It creeps to the floor only at a dead stop or right before I come to a complete stop.... What do I do to fix this problem???

Quick Reply: How to check ABS computer???