General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How to check ABS computer???

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:29 PM
Default RE: How to check ABS computer???

If you are at a dead stop and hold your foot on the brake and it creeps to the floor then you have a leak somewhere... there is an O-ring at the rear of the master cylinder which could be the culprit for this or it could be the cylinder itself...

When you did the test did you maintain a steady pressure and it went to the floor/down? Did you bleed the brakes when you did the rotors/pads?

Old 01-04-2007, 09:14 AM
Unregistered

Yes, I maintained a steady pressure and it went to the floor. And I haven't bled the brakes. I can't see any brake fluid leaks. The master cylinder has High Pressure on it and has several metal lines running to it yes?

Old 01-04-2007, 07:55 PM
Unregistered

Alright, I bled the beakes today... All of the lines had air in them except the front passenger which would explain why when I do brake it pulls to the right... I started it up and the pedal still creeps to the floor...

Should I just go buy a new Brake Master Cylinder now???

If I do I'm going to bleed all of the old fluid and put new full-syn brake fluid in there..

Old 01-04-2007, 08:05 PM

Yes it's high pressure and has all the metal lines running to it....did you try the pump test that hondadude mentioned? I'd do a tad more diagnosing before I started throwing money at the problem... if you aren't leaking any fluid then it's either the pump motor or the master cylinder... do the test he suggested and if the motor doesn't kick on I'd replace that first

Old 01-04-2007, 08:22 PM
Unregistered

He did say that the pump motor had nothing to do with the Primary brake system... I guess its just for the ABS.... but after bleeding the brakes I dud the creep test again and got the same results.... spongy and goes to the floor.... I'm going to replace the Master Cylinder this weekend and see where that leaves me....

Old 01-04-2007, 11:30 PM
Super Moderator

Regardless of the ABS pump running or not, you've pretty much proven that your master cylinder is bad.

Old 01-05-2007, 01:51 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

go to our DIY section and read up on how to replace brake master and bleed brakes

Old 01-06-2007, 01:10 AM
Unregistered

Done... Master cylinder changed, brakes bled... It does in fact brake better, but it doesn't have the bite that I'm looking for in an all disc brake car.... I mean it should at least be able to stop better than a 2 disc 2 drum car I would hope.... maybe I just need to upgrade my rotors and pads... I have brembo rotors and ceramic pads... any suggestions for better braking?

Edit: Sorry I think they are wearevers from advance

Old 01-08-2007, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator

Check out your calipers, looking for any discrepancies:

Caliper slide pins move freely? If not, they may only be braking on one side of the disk.

Frontbrakesdomost of your braking. If the rear calipers are seized up completely, you'll only lose maybe 1/4 of your braking power.

Check the vacuum booster. Is it actually getting vacuum from the engine? There's a check valve in the big vacuum hose for the booster - make sure that works OK (arrow pointing towards the engine).

Old 10-18-2007, 01:36 AM
asvasquez
Unregistered

On a 1994 Honda accordvtec engine with absbrakes the wireto read the codes has 6 - 8 connectors not2 likeI have seen stated here. Which ones do I jump to get the codes for the ABS? 2nd will the pedal go all the way to the floor if the abs system has air in it as I know it does. I cannot get apedal no matter what I do, I have bleed all the brakes and still no pedal. Thinking of going to the dealer to bleed the ABS or should I change the master cylinder again. I gota rebuild one from AutoZone and I think it is bad. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Quick Reply: How to check ABS computer???