General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How many "system checks" on Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2022, 05:51 PM
Question How many "system checks" on Hybrid

I have two questions please:

1) how long should it take to get a new key cut and programmed?
2) how many "system checks" need to be cleared when I take my 2020 hybrid in for inspection.

My trusted service advisor/mechanic that I had been using over the past couple years is sadly no longer working at the dealer that I've been taking my car to, so for the past couple of oil changes, I have been using a new guy... and he hasn't exactly impressed me, to say the least.
I have no direct evidence, but he gives me the impression that he's full of it, so using these two questions I'll be able to make a better judgement.

The reason being is he told me it would take 2.5 hours to change the oil plus get a new key programmed...

Usually it takes about an hour to change the oil/inspection and one would think that the key could be programmed concurrently during that time, however even if you have to do the two procedures completely separate, I can't imagine how it would take an hour and a half alone just to program/cut a key. When I was leaving, I politely asked what took so long to make a new key and he had some excuse about there being lots of new numbers to input that made it such a lengthy process...but then he forgot to keep it simple/stick to one excuse and kept moving his mouth; next he said "yeah the hybrids take the longest because they have the most checks I have to clear in my system; a regular Accord has over 400 checks, but the hybrids have 1700!"

Is there any truth to this or should I be looking for a new service advisor?

Old 10-03-2022, 05:20 PM
Super Moderator

His explanation about the system checks sounds strange to me. If you aren't comfortable with your mechanic, try shopping around for someone you trust. There are good mechanics at independent shops as well.

Shops charge labor time, where they have a book saying oil change = so many hours, so the time is not done by a stopwatch. This can be good or bad for the customer. If a bolt breaks and a 1 hour job takes the mechanic 3 hours, you don't have to pay for the extra time and the mechanic doesn't get paid extra time. On the other hand, a fast mechanic can get paid for 3 hours when completing a job in 2 hours.