General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

How much should throttle plate be open?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 05:47 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by jfidelh
It's the throttle stop, not the idle screw.
Thanks for clearing that up.

Old 08-30-2011, 09:22 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by g22cd5
yes it should be open. I have always adjusted ALL my TB to where I'm at WOT my throttle plate is open all the way. easy way for a few more ponies...nothing big but little more pep in its step. On another note when you get your car tuned a tuner will do the same thing....
Ryan, you still want the throttle to close completely for good idle. I've always been able to adjust the cable so it goes a little bit slack; yet the gas pedal still has enough travel to open it completely when you floor the pedal.

Old 08-31-2011, 09:03 AM
Supper Moderator

hummm my tuner has always thought me differently...but maybe he is talking in a performance way vs. every day driving? I donno...I’m guessing since I’m on a tuned ecu not a stock tune. I personally don't like slack in the cable. Mine are always fairly tight so my pedal is always stiff not soft.
Helps with reaction times too

Old 08-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Super Moderator

Depends what you mean by "fairly tight" and what I mean by "a little slack". If I leave 0.5mm or 1.0mm of slack in the cable, there's very little pedal travel before opening the throttle, yet the pedal has plenty of travel to fully open the throttle.

If I adjust the cable for something like 0.1mm slack, then I'd have to keep adjusting it as often as I adjust my bicycle shift cables.

Old 11-06-2011, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by g22cd5
yes it should be open. I have always adjusted ALL my TB to where I'm at WOT my throttle plate is open all the way. easy way for a few more ponies...nothing big but little more pep in its step. On another note when you get your car tuned a tuner will do the same thing....

I ended up just getting a whole other throttle body from a junk yard. It in fact is supposed to be open a tiny bit, NOT SHUT all the way.

I know this is old but I am just returning to ALL my solved threads just in case someone in the future has a similar question.

Old 05-24-2012, 08:20 PM

Thanks for posting all of this. I too wondered if throttle plate should be "totally" closed at idle. My throttle plate is sticking after setting over night. The TPS and everything associated with it is very clean.
Based on what you posted, I am assuming that the throttle plate is being allow to close all the way by the throttle adjusting screw. I am going to attempt to adjust this screw even though manual says its not adjustable.

Can you give me a specific number that describes how much opening of the throttle plate is needed based on what you saw with your junk yard TPS....005 in., 010 in. ???

Thanks in advance

Joe

Last edited by joede; 05-24-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Suggest setting the idle air bypass screw in the throttle plate at mid-point of adjustment. Then adjust idle w/ mechanical stop to spec (550 +/- 50 rpm) w/ IACV disconnected. This should result in correct gap.

good luck

Old 05-25-2012, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

I've always thought that the throttle plate should close completely, and the mechanical stop should be adjusted to only just prevent it from wedging stuck closed.

So I'd tighten it just a tiny bit at a time until it doesn't stick in the morning. After you're satisfied that it doesn't stick (with various overnight temperatures), then adjust your base idle & go through the idle-learning procedure.