General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

I need help with manual transmision

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:18 PM
shboul
Unregistered
Default I need help with manual transmision

hi i have a 1994 honda accord lx manual. and it was ok untill the weather got cold and now i cant put it into gear while the car is on i need help please.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Check for leaks and/or air in the clutch hydraulic system.

Sounds like you're not getting enough movement on the slave cylinder to fully release the clutch.

Does it grind when you try to put it in gear?

You can do a simple spin down test to see if the clutch is fully disengaging. With the engine running, transmission in neutral, press the clutch pedal down. You should be able to hear the transmission spin down within 9 seconds, 3-4 seconds is normal. If the tranny takes longer, you probably have a dragging clutch or the clutch is still engaged, so the synchronizer can't slow down the speed gear on the mainshaft and slide the synchronizer sleeve over to lock the gear to the shaft.

Old 12-18-2009, 10:45 AM
Administrator
Talking Hello New Member

Welcome to the forums..

By the way, Please watch where you post your questions..this one was in the wrong forum..

I moved it to the correct one for you..

WheelBrokerAng

Attached Thumbnails I need help with manual transmision-173airborn.gif  
Old 12-18-2009, 10:38 PM
shboul
Unregistered

hey thanks um it only grinds when the car is cold but when i drive on it for a while and heats up everything gets back to normal and the clutch pedal gets soooo soft but when it heats up it gets back to normal too its driving me crazy because it only started when it got really cold here im wondering if its because of the transmission fluid because i dont no if the guy before me changed it or not

Old 12-18-2009, 10:39 PM
shboul
Unregistered

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
Welcome to the forums..

By the way, Please watch where you post your questions..this one was in the wrong forum..

I moved it to the correct one for you..

WheelBrokerAng

thank you

Old 12-19-2009, 02:48 PM
Super Moderator

I would suggest that you inspect the hydraulic part of the clutch system for leaks. (master and slave cylinder)

Check the clutch fluid reservoir to see if it is low. Maybe change out the fluid by bleeding the line.

Old 12-19-2009, 07:23 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Also, fluid in the reservoir will RISE as the clutch wears. If it's low, that generally means it's leaking.

I wouldn't be too worried about the fluid, extended changes won't do all that much harm. Cheap and easy to change too. 2 qts. of Honda MTF, 3/8" ratchet in the drain plug, 17mm filler plug, fill to the bottom of the filler plug hole.

Grinding in all gears points to a clutch disengagement problem, the synchros slow the input shaft because the clutch is dragging.

Bleed the line first. Th clutch fluid expands as it heats up, so it might be right at the line where you are pumping air into the line when it's cold, then fluid when it's hot.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:41 AM
Super Moderator

You can also check the movement of the throw-out lever down at the tranny. Have someone pump the clutch pedal up & down - the throw-out lever should move back & forth about 12mm.

When you press & hold the clutch pedal, the throw-out lever should NOT slowly creep back to it's resting position.

Old 11-12-2017, 09:32 AM
Default Same symptoms with 06

JimBlake, I have the same symptoms with my 06. You said the throw out lever travel should be about 12mm for the 94'. Do you know what that travel should be on my 06'? The travel is only about 1/4" (6.4mm).
The symptoms started rather suddenly according to my son (driver). We bled the lines / added fluid and I'm confident that is not the problem. As soon as the pedal is touched, we see movement out of the slave.
I am wondering about a plastic piece that I see between the slave rod boot and the throw out lever (immediately right of the boot in attached picture); if it broke and has allowed extra movement (of throw out lever to left, which would allow further clutch engagement) that is the cause of the rather sudden issue, or if something is wrong with master or slave. Of course, this is my 1st time troubleshooting this.
Would appreciate any help!

Attached Thumbnails I need help with manual transmision-img_2726.jpg  
Old 11-13-2017, 06:57 AM
Super Moderator

I got that 12mm travel by measuring a couple cars that I've owned. 1995 Integra, 2003 Accord, 2007 Civic. So it seems like the travel is the same across a lot of Hondas. But that's not an absolute certainty.

That plastic piece looks like it helps lubricate the ball&socket where the slave pushes against the lever. My Integra used to get squeaky, and I had to occasionally put some grease between the ball & socket.

Can you push the lever towards the right side of the car? Compressing the slave piston? If the piston is already bottomed out, that would indicate your clutch disk has worn down and it's time for a new clutch.

Quick Reply: I need help with manual transmision