General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Immobilzer/Key issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2023, 03:50 PM
Super Moderator

You'll have to pay attention to that key light when the car will not start. If the key light behaves normal, then you may have a different issue.

When the car doesn't start, what happens when you turn the key? Does the starter crank the engine, or does nothing happen?

Old 01-23-2023, 07:25 PM

It is not the sound of the chip not being recognized, I know all about that. Once in awhile I used to lose the chip out of the broken fob. Same chip though still.

The sound reminds me sort of a dead battery - nothing happens, but the panel is lit up. A slight sound then nothing happens. Gas pedal to the floor. When this occurs the key is lit up as well as the Maintenence Required sign next to it and everything else is lit up.

Took the car to work today. On my lunch break and again just now as Im leaving, the car did not start.

I locked the car door with the key while inside the car and it started. Right away just now, earlier today it took a couple of tries doing different things with the locks while in the car from the key fob.

I feel like the problem has something to do with the locks and maybe the drivers dome light(?)

Im afraid no one is gonna know how to fix this. Places are gonna charge me to repair something bigger than what I need.

Thanks for your input I greatly appreciate it.

I don't know if I am ever gonna be able to show up at work or not.

Old 01-23-2023, 08:09 PM
Super Moderator

Doing as much diagnostic work as possible before taking it to a shop will probably save you money in the long term. I'd recommend recording the gauge on you phone when you get into your car. Turn the key to the II position and wait for the check engine light to turn off. Then try to start the car. Hopefully you will get a video of a good and bad startup to compare. You can upload videos to a youtube account and post a link on here. We may be able to diagnose.

You may not know the answer, but does your car have an aftermarket alarm/remote start system? You can look under the driver's dash and look for wires out of place leading to a box. Most wires under the dash should be fairly organized. If you see rouge wires that are spliced, etc. you may have an aftermarket system installed. You can take some pictures under there and post them on here.

Other items it could be is an immobilizer issue like discussed before, a faulty electrical portion of the ignition switch, a bad starter. These are all things you can diagnose or you have to pay someone to diagnose. I know car work is expensive, but you may want to find a good independent shop. Based on your user name, I'm guessing you live in NJ. There is a youtube channel called New Level Auto. He is based out of NYC. He may know of a good shop in your area for diagnostic work. You can probably send him a message through youtube.

Old 01-23-2023, 09:40 PM

Check engine light is always on. I got bad codes for the catalytic converters 2 yrs ago when I went thru inspection. A mechanic reset the car somehow and I was able to have the light off and got thru inspection. There was no repair of the catalytic converters so the light came back on soon after. Inspection in NJ is all about emissions and I think I heard it's the same standard as CA.

Those are the receipts from the tests I had done at Auto Zone.

There is no remote starter in this car and no aftermarket alarm that I know of. It was my understanding he only had the ignition replaced and a new key, which I dont think was ever programmed to the locks. I had to get that done.

I am wondering if I disabled the alarm or something(?) The red light is flashing but if I am inside the car and lock the locks with the remote and then manually unlock the drivers side door and open the door, shouldnt the alarm go off? It doesn't.

Sometime before all of this started (I believe) I didnt have the key fob taped up and the cover was loose and I accidently hit the panic alarm and various different locks several times over the course of a few days.

I have to wonder why doing things to the locks sometimes gets the car to start.

I will contact the place in NY.

Thanks again

Old 07-30-2023, 02:02 AM

Originally Posted by JRinNJ
Hi I found this forum, know very little about cars so bear with me. But, I could use some advice from those of you who know about this kind of stuff.

The whole story:

I inherited my dad's 2004 Honda Accord EX Automatic (I think it's v6 but I'm not sure, sorry) 138,000 miles on it at this point.

I believe he had the ignition replaced because the key for the ignition doesn't go into the door or any other locks and all I can really do with the key is lock and unlock the doors and start the car. I'm okay with that. I pop the trunk from inside the car. I understand replacing all the locks and new keys is expensive.

I have had the current key fob fixed a few times. I always had the chip and the metal stick part and a locksmith would put it into a new case, $75. Within a matter of months the key would break again so I just tape it shut or deal with it in pieces (This last time he glued the chip into the key with some kind of foam. It was fine for the last 6 months).

Now there seems to be an immobilizer or key problem. Sometimes I can't start the car and the green key is blinking when I take the key out. Sometimes then, I lock the doors while Im inside (with the key fob) and I can start the car. Sometimes I can start the car if I do that thing where I go from 0 to 2 back to 0, remove key, go back to 2. Sometimes that doesn't work. Maybe Im pressing the key in too much or not enough. Then I unlock the car or lock it again or do any number of things and it starts.

I ( lightly) popped the gas door with a screwdriver when it was frozen shut and the door isn't always closed. AutoZone tested the car and the report said loose gas cap. One day I got out and clicked the gas cap 3 times and then was able to start the car. Coincidence? I don't know.

Auto Zone suggested replacing the battery in the key fob and then amazingly the car starts! But not necessarily the next day or the next time without some trouble and trying.

I can't help but feel that this started sometime after I started accidently pressing buttons on the key fob. It was broken as it almost always is, and I was accidently hitting the panic button, etc. I'm wondering if I did something wrong or mis-set something.

It seems so much like it has to do with the key fob in some way or another.

Took it to a Honda dealer hoping to have it reprogrammed. I have reason to believe it was not properly diagnosed according to Honda protocols on the Honda diagnoser machine. Mechanic was just casually diagnosing the situation.

Receipt says: Technician found the immobilizer in the ignition cylinder failing to recognize the key, replace ignition cylinder.

He told me my key was fine.

I don't know what to believe. There was some double talking going on, not with the tech but certainly with the service advisors.

I know the last time I brought the key to be repaired the locksmith said something about how he can tell I got the key wet and I believe he had to clean off some corrosion on the inside. I did drop it into a cup of soda sometime this past this summer. Stuff happens.

So after 3 hrs and $186 for the "diagnosis" they told me it's an $1100 repair.
$500 for the part (ignition cylinder) and 3 hrs of labor at $179 per hour.

CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE ADVISE?

Meanwhile I never know for sure now if I can make it to work or not and I cant be missing work. I need to do something ASAP.

Thanks in advance, I would greatly appreciate an I formed opinion.
Call a locksmith and have them program a new replacement key for $100, it will match the ignition in the car. They have the correct equipment that can hook up to your car diagnostics and then program a key correctly. If the original ignition is in the car, you can get the key code off the side of the key cylinder down by your left door frame. Just pop open the plastic cover and pull/pry out the entire key cylinder. There will be some numbers and letters printed on the side of that cylinder, the last 4 digits is your cars key code. It will be a capital letter and 3 numbers. You can google search how to find Honda Accord key code and find videos on how to find your specific key code. There's a few great instructional videos done by a foreign locksmith that shows exactly how to find this code. I just had to do this exact thing because I wanted a spare key cut and was going to try and do it all by myself but unfortunately did not have the proper scanning equipment. You can buy the device the guy shows in the video for $100 and make all the keys you want. Hope this helps, let us know how it turns out.

Old 06-21-2024, 06:14 AM
Default Need some advice

I buy a used immobilizer and also I change the cilinder oem with key the problem is a locksmith scann the car and he say is no communication to have access to reprogram the key. I did this kind of move bc I was with my family and the cilinder won’t turn so I couldn’t turn the car on and I call the tow man and he was trying to help me so I don’t need to get my car tow but he broke the immobilizer and also one cable from the immobilizer plug so like I say starting I buy the whole ignition switch with immobilizer and the plugs one is green and the other is white I only use the white I cut the wires and I put color by color, i pass everything (cilinder,immobilizer and the other thing what is under the immobilizer don’t know the name )from the switch what i buy to the one what is on the car and here is the problem car crank but doesn’t turn on and when everything was broke and I crank the car the green light key used to blink like normal bc was broke and keep blinking , but now I insert the key crank the car and the green light key doesn’t show up at all I really need to fix the car asap is the only thing what I have I’m about to lose my job because is far and I depend from that car any advice is very welcome I hope somebody know

Old 06-21-2024, 06:27 AM
Default Need some advice accord 2004 v6 coupe

Accord 2004 v6 ex coupe , Change immobilizer and cilinder with key and I insert the key and no green key light show up at all , also have to replace the plug from the immobilizer so I cut the wires and put them together like normal electric job and I crank the car but doesn’t turn on if somebody have any idea why the green key doesn’t show up either blinking show up . I scann the car the obd2 says no communication to get access to reprogram the key .. have to be some fuse ? I hope somebody help me with this cuestión o idea waths going on