General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Info before seeing mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2012, 07:20 PM
Default Info before seeing mechanic

Hello all.
Seeking a little info here.

My sister bought a 2004 Accord V6 new and it has just been passed to me. She has taken it for oil changes regularly every 4500-5000 miles, but other than that has done no maintenance. This is my first car so I'm about to take it for an oil change and to have the AC looked at, and probably to have a thorough check of pretty much everything.
My question is, What should I ask the mechanic to look into and what should I inquire about?
The car has just reached 150k miles.
It has never had any sort of AC system service (not even adding refrigerant, etc.), and has for the past 2 years been spotty in its cooling; sometimes comfortable, but at times blowing warmish air (especially when it's humid).
She recently had new brake pads and rotors installed, but I don't know about brake fluid or anything about that system.
Never had the cooling system or transmission serviced.
I think the alignment needs to be checked, because it pulls a little to one side.

Generally, the car runs great, has never had any mechanical or electrical problems, and doesn't really make any abnormal sounds, except for 2 I'll describe poorly for you:
1) I suspect something to do with thermostat. Sound is an occasional ticking/rattling noise from under dash, but I can stop it by turning fan temperature dial all the way to the left (sound occurs even when fan/AC is off).
2) I don't want to describe this one as "grinding" because that sounds much worse than it is. The normal vroom sound it makes as accelerating (especially uphill) occasionally becomes less normal (if vroooom is a man humming, then this is him clearing his throat).

I'll bring these up to the mechanic, but I'm hoping before I take it in, I can get some pointers, this being my first car and all.
What sort of maintenance schedule should I try to stick to?
How often should I check and have different things serviced?
Given that none of the factory-recommended maintenance has been done in the past, other than oil changes, what should I have done now, at 150k miles?

I appreciate any input.
Thanks!

Old 08-23-2012, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

have the spark plugs been changed?

One quick test you can do for the a/c is to start the engine and turn on the a/c. Do both fans on the radiator turn on?

You can also go to the common diy thread and open the link to HVAC codes under the 03-07 accords. That may indicate a problem.

Old 08-23-2012, 07:34 PM
Super Moderator

The maintenance schedule is shown in the owner's manual.

Some things for replacement would be:

Air filter
Coolant
Spark plugs
Timing belt and water pump
Transmission fluid
Cabin filter
Brake fluid

See attached pic.

Attached Thumbnails Info before seeing mechanic-maintenance-schedule.jpg  
Old 08-23-2012, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by redbull-1
The maintenance schedule is shown in the owner's manual.

Some things for replacement would be:

Air filter
Coolant
Spark plugs
Timing belt and water pump
Transmission fluid
Cabin filter
Brake fluid

See attached pic.
Yes, I saw the schedule but figured that none of the previous recommendations were followed then perhaps certain things might need particular attention. Other than oil, no other fluids have been changed/flushed, so I'd assumed it's due for transmission and brake fluid changes. I already installed a new cabin air filter and just topped off the coolant. Spark plugs have never been changed.

Thanks.

Old 08-23-2012, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Due to the mileage and time, most of the items not changed yet would need attention. Broken timing belt can mean big repair costs; coolant should be replaced as it has anti-corrosion inhibitors, etc.; brake fluid absorbs moisture; later generation Honda auto transmission weren't exactly bullet-proof, etc., etc...

Old 08-24-2012, 11:38 AM

the grinding noise could be a rear wheel bearing. Does it lessen when you take corners on the interstate? if so note if you are turning left or right as this will take weight off of a rear tire in the corner and can narrow down which wheel might be causing the noise.

Old 08-27-2012, 11:00 AM

Originally Posted by Silver6gen
the grinding noise could be a rear wheel bearing. Does it lessen when you take corners on the interstate? if so note if you are turning left or right as this will take weight off of a rear tire in the corner and can narrow down which wheel might be causing the noise.
That noise doesn't occur at all (as far as I can hear) if I'm not driving uphill, or if I'm driving faster than 35 mph or so. And I believe it's only when accelerating.
And I'm really not sure whether "grinding" is the right word, but I can't think of a better one.

Thanks.

Old 08-27-2012, 06:46 PM

I would have the engine mounts checked. Guessing that could cause your noise when the engine tilts under heavy load.

Old 08-29-2012, 01:39 PM

Timing belt & water pump - Should I just replace these pre-emptively regardless of condition?

Any idea of the sort of price range am I probably looking at to do all of these, including labor?
Replace:
-timing belt
-water pump
-spark plugs (and should I go with iridium or copper?)
-brake fluid
-air filter

Service:
-transmission
-AC
-radiator
-alignment

...and just a general check of the vehicle?
$250? $400? More?

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Super Moderator

If you can't confirm the timing belt replacement it should be done.

Cost, not sure where you live but $500 to $800. This would cover the timing belt and pump and if you are "nice" the plugs as well - go with what the owners manual calls for, pretty sure they are factory "iridium". If you are having "someone" do this work they should "throw in" the general check of the car.

If you have basic tools then the air filter, brake fluid, trans and rad - you can do. Parts might run ~$80.

Align and AC - again depends on location but I see those as running ~$70 each

Quick Reply: Info before seeing mechanic