General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Info before seeing mechanic

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 09:49 AM

OK.
I spoke with a few mechanics and will be taking it in sometime this month when I've saved up a few hundred. Those I talked with recommended buying some parts myself to save, so I got the plugs & air filter already.
Can't do much of the work myself, even if I were so inclined (live in apartment complex - strictly forbidden).

Something I'd read suggested replacing the rear differential fluid. Should I consider this, as well? Power steering fluid?

Thanks!

Old 09-11-2012, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

Your front wheel drive Accord doesn't have a rear differential.

Changing power steering fluid would be good.

Old 09-11-2012, 10:21 AM

Has your sister been servicing the car with any certain shop? If so, they should have records of all the repairs and would be an honest place to start.

It sounds like you know what questions to ask... but, with that high a mileage.. and her not doing all the maintances, you are going to have to play catch up.. and it's going to cost you some money..but it will money well spent.. these cars last a good long time... 300k is not unheard of.

Brian B

Old 09-11-2012, 10:32 AM

She just went to Jiffy Lube and whatever other places changed her oil, filters, wiper blades, etc.
No other services had ever been done.
She's never had any repairs done, as it's been reliable so far.

Old 12-13-2012, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by fracas
She just went to Jiffy Lube and whatever other places changed her oil, filters, wiper blades, etc.
No other services had ever been done.
She's never had any repairs done, as it's been reliable so far.
Still haven't had chance or money to take it in, but I think I need to soon. Not even think; just need to.
Since getting colder at night, when I start the car in the mornings, it's much louder than usual. A roaring sound. Becomes louder as I put it in reverse to back out of space, and even louder when I turn the wheel. Sound goes away as engine warms. Usually by midday.

Old 12-14-2012, 09:13 AM

is it a squeal? or does it sound like your car has a loud exhaust?

Old 12-15-2012, 11:14 AM

Not a squeal. A roar. Low-pitched, and not from exhaust. From under hood.
Basically, a very loud idle.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:32 AM

check your intake hose, air filter box and the resonator attached bellow it to confirm that they are all still attached properly.

Old 01-23-2013, 09:51 AM

OK, so I finally got the work done, and here is the rundown:
Took it to mechanic that's highly recommended by several co-workers. Timing belt/water pump kit, oil change, tune-up, install plugs & air filter - $1100
Days later, temperature dropped below freezing again and I noticed the noise from before had not gone away at all. Because it was too warm before (sound is only there in cold weather), the mechanic could not hear it. This time, I drove it to the garage and they instantly identified it as a bad power steering pump (upon inspection, there was some fluid leakage from the pump). $400

I might need to post a new thread now, however, depending what I find from prior discussions of the totally new problem that happened this morning!
I was moments from arriving at my office and flipped the turn signal as I was about to turn into the parking lot. Suddenly, the engine died. I was confused and quickly continued straight along the service road because without power steering I would not have made the turn in time and would have ended in the bushes. Strangest thing, though - when I switched the turn signal off (within 1-2 seconds of the engine shutting down) the engine and everything else resumed as normal. It might have been less than 2 seconds, even, as there was no ignition when the engine resumed. It just continued as though nothing had happened. No starter/ignition sound, etc.
However, when I flipped the turn signal again to turn into the next lot at the end of the road, it shut off again... this time for good, and I had to coast into a parking space.
After a moment parked, I started the car and was able to drive back up the road to my office without incident.

So here's my question:
Obviously this is hard to see as a coincidence, coming for the first time a few days after having major work done. Is there anything they might have done that could cause this? Poorly installed plugs, perhaps? Something from the new power steering pump, or something they'd done during the course of installing it?

Thanks.

Old 01-23-2013, 10:26 AM

By the way:
Battery is no more than a year old. Alternator is original.
Per advice on other threads, I'll check the battery connections.

**Update**
I checked the battery cables and they're tight.
Called mechanic to get his take and he suggested maybe it's just that I didn't let it warm up enough (never been a problem in the past - I let it run about 3 minutes before driving the 1 mile to work). He said it might otherwise be a problem with too much water in the fuel line due to ethanol and the cold weather (it gets down just below freezing at night recently).
He said there's really not much to do except wait for it to happen again. I just hope that doesn't happen on the highway tonight.

Last edited by fracas; 01-23-2013 at 12:33 PM. Reason: additional info