General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Intermittent CEL how to get codes?

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2021, 01:18 AM
Default Intermittent CEL how to get codes?

I'll be doing the VSS on my Aussie '94 4 pot Auto Accord soon. But recently the Check Engine Light is coming on - but seems to come on only when the car warms up, and it goes off when motor is stopped.
I immediately suspected low oil pressure (hot oil), but no rev variations changed the light.
And... if the CEL is intermittent, how do you test for that? Do I need to disconnect the battery to reset things? Would that be a good starting point? The car has been on loan to my son for a couple of years, so I'm not 'up to speed' on what's been going on with it.
I realise I'll need to find that secret hidden plug so I can paper-clip it to get the code(s) - My Haynes says it's on the RH side behind the kick panel and in the same paragraph says it's on the passenger side! Whoa!
Well, maybe Haynes didn't realise we Aussies drive RH drive cars! So where is that magic connector on an Aussie car? The left side or the right? (Yes I know I just need to start pulling carpet and panels apart to find it, but I'm being lazy)!

Old 06-12-2021, 06:24 PM
Super Moderator

The 94 accord has the ability to store codes. Find the service connector and short it before disconnecting the battery to read any stored codes.

The service connector should be unplugged or plugged into a dummy connector. The dummy connector would have no wires going to it. You do not want to short a connector that is not the service connector, so make 100% sure you found the service connector.

Old 06-12-2021, 06:37 PM

Is it on the Right hand side behind the kick (side) panel? (Passenger /Driver side depends on where you live - this is a RHD Aussie car).
Stored codes, that solves the intermittent issue hopefully.
Thanks PA.