General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Issue after brake fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2013, 07:12 PM

Hey Jim, I have a MotivePower bleeder, do you know offhand if there is a special Honda specific cap for it or do you use a universal cap with the chain set up?

Old 02-10-2013, 08:30 PM
Super Moderator

Universal with the chain.
Better yet, now I don't have any Accords, only Civics. The windshield cowling is so far forward that I can't even get that universal cap on, so I'm back to pumping the pedal.

I'm about to make my own Honda adapter out of a Civic brake-reservoir cap & glue a hose fitting into it.

Old 02-11-2013, 09:32 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Hey guys, I have one more question. I mentioned that when I took the RF bleeder screw to replace it with the speedbleeder, it came out harder than the others and had some white corrosion at the seat. Do you think that is reason enough to replace the caliper or do you think it's ok now that fresh fluid has been pushed through it?

Old 02-11-2013, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

It's really a question of leakage. For the bleeder screw, there's really no place for it to leak except OUT where you can see the leak. So is it leaking?

Besides that, you'll have to wait for next time you bleed the brakes, maybe a couple years from now. I used speedbleeders (a long time ago) and thought they were great. Then 2 years went by and next time they were corroded and didn't work properly. But that's just my experience, and I suspect they have since been making them out of stainless steel.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:13 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by JimBlake
It's really a question of leakage. For the bleeder screw, there's really no place for it to leak except OUT where you can see the leak. So is it leaking?

Besides that, you'll have to wait for next time you bleed the brakes, maybe a couple years from now. I used speedbleeders (a long time ago) and thought they were great. Then 2 years went by and next time they were corroded and didn't work properly. But that's just my experience, and I suspect they have since been making them out of stainless steel.
No leaks. My line of reasoning was that if the seat was corroded, what does the piston look like? Stainless was an option but about $15 a piece.

Old 02-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Super Moderator

OK... Brake fluid gets corrosive when it absorbs moisture from the air. So a tiny bit of brake fluid left inside the bleeder will pick up moisture a lot more than the fluid that's sealed inside the system. I'm not saying that you shouldn't worry about it.

What about brake function? Corrosion inside the caliper would most likely result in dragging brakes. Hydraulic pressure from applying the brakes is easily enough force to apply the brakes. But when you take your foot off the pedal, the brakes won't completely release. So maybe that's a reasonable way to judge the condition of the insides?

Old 02-11-2013, 02:12 PM

Universal with the chain.
Better yet, now I don't have any Accords, only Civics. The windshield cowling is so far forward that I can't even get that universal cap on, so I'm back to pumping the pedal.

I'm about to make my own Honda adapter out of a Civic brake-reservoir cap & glue a hose fitting into it.
Motive offers a "reward" for the design of a Honda cap. They have been unable to come up with one.

Old 02-11-2013, 04:12 PM
Super Moderator

There's too many different ones. Honda didn't stick with one cap interchangable across many years. If I make one it's gonna fit 2006-2012 Civic Coupe. Wont fit earlier Civics. Wont fit a 98 Accord or a 95 Integra.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Newest Of Newbies

the bleeder will pick up moisture a lot more than the fluid that's sealed inside the system.
That makes a lot of sense. Thanks!

Old 07-28-2013, 05:44 PM

I have used the vacuum pump method for years. It is easy and doesn't require anybody else to do. My problem is I have put almost 16oz of new fluid in the MC and still haven't done the last brake. My problem is small bubbles. When I pull 5in or more vacuum I get a lot of small bubbles. This has been consistent at both front and rear calipers. Would this possibly indicate the start of the MC failure?

Quick Reply: Issue after brake fluid change