General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Issues with the fan and cooling issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2021, 05:33 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Issues with the fan and cooling issue

Hey everyone, I have a 07 accord with the 2.4 auto. For the longest time I've noticed a little "vibration " kick on once in awhile when the car is at light or parked idling. This little shake or vibration is the fan constantly kicking in and then shuts off like 5 seconds after. I've noticed that the temp gauge is reading under the mid way point . Is it possible I have a bad thermostat that is causing all of this.? I'll post a pic of the car gauge after running for 15 min. Where should I start ? And has anyone ever had this problem ?
Thanks folks !

Old 11-08-2021, 07:35 PM
Super Moderator

Honda's typically run at ~1/3 of the temperature gauge at normal operating temperature, so I'd say your temperature gauge/thermostat are normal based on your picture. I notice a little vibration when the fans kick on with my TSX, so I'd say this is normal too.

Old 11-08-2021, 08:30 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Honda's typically run at ~1/3 of the temperature gauge at normal operating temperature, so I'd say your temperature gauge/thermostat are normal based on your picture. I notice a little vibration when the fans kick on with my TSX, so I'd say this is normal too.

Ya but should it be doing it quite frequently though ? At what temp should fan kick in at? I didn't know that was there normal operating temp.

Old 11-08-2021, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

The fans will turn on when the coolant temperature is above a set temperature (I believe 199 °F). If the fans kick on and off frequently when the car is not moving, then I may inspect the radiator for any debris blocking air flow like leaves or a plastic bag. At most, I may spray some soapy water and lightly hose off the radiator to clean any dirt buildup. I'd almost remove the nozzle from the garden hose, and run water down the radiator. Higher pressure can bend the fins of the radiator and block airflow.

If you are dead set on a new thermostat, please buy one from the Honda dealership.

I really do not think that you have a problem.

Old 11-08-2021, 09:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

The fans will turn on when the coolant temperature is above a set temperature (I believe 199 °F). If the fans kick on and off frequently when the car is not moving, then I may inspect the radiator for any debris blocking air flow like leaves or a plastic bag. At most, I may spray some soapy water and lightly hose off the radiator to clean any dirt buildup. I'd almost remove the nozzle from the garden hose, and run water down the radiator. Higher pressure can bend the fins of the radiator and block airflow.

If you are dead set on a new thermostat, please buy one from the Honda dealership.

I really do not think that you have a problem.

Ok. Well if that temp gauge is where it needs to be at I'm not going to mess with it. I'll try to clean the radiatior on the outside. I don't really wanna drain it right now if I don't have to

Old 11-08-2021, 10:42 PM
Super Moderator

Meant cleaning the outside. You shouldn't need to clean the inside, because you are not seeing overheating according to your temperature gauge.

Old 11-09-2021, 07:10 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Meant cleaning the outside. You shouldn't need to clean the inside, because you are not seeing overheating according to your temperature gauge.
ok, gotcha. Thanks man. Was stressing for awhile ,I figured something was gonna go soon here.