General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Jiffy Lube?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 02:36 PM
Default Jiffy Lube?

Hi guys,

I just bought a 2000 Honda Accord SE a couple of weeks ago from an individual. He was the original owner, and had most of the maintenance records.

The paperwork shows that he did his oil changes at a local Jiffy Lube every 4000 miles or so. I have seen on this board that it is better to avoid these "Quick Lube" places (like Jiffy Lube, Midas, Wal-Mart).

I do have a coupon from the local Honda dealership for a $21.95 oil change. The "Quick Lube" places are all within plus or minus $5.

Since the car seems to have been well maintained, I am tempted to keep on going to the same Jiffy Lube that the original owner went to.

What would you guys do???

Thanks in advance!!

Old 07-03-2006, 05:19 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: Jiffy Lube?

I have used JL in the past and have had no problems. I currently use the Honda dealer since they are cheaper and faster.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:31 PM

Wherever you go, please check their work. My mother in law went to a place that prides themselves on hiring ASE certified mechanics (apparently there wasn't one on duty!). She gets home only to find a puddle of oil on the driveway an hour later. I don't want to think of what would have happend if she didn't notice it.

Old 07-03-2006, 08:45 PM

ORIGINAL: tiger94

What would you guys do???

Me? I'd do it myself. I'd reccomend you take it somewhere you feel comfortable.

Old 07-03-2006, 09:17 PM

yea my friend took her car to jiffy and they thought it was a dodge caravan so they overfilled it.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:40 AM

Yeah bro I would do it myself too.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:20 AM

I know people who work at Jiffy Lube and their not exactly the brightest bubls in the house. They will skip oil filters if the engine is too hot and even fake the whole thing if they're real busy. This is one of the few jobs that doesn't require a Diploma and that's saying something. Who gets ASE certified to do oil changes for 8.00 a hour?

Old 07-04-2006, 02:23 AM

Jiffy Lube, Wall Mart, Costco & the like do good work for a reasonable price. This is a good way for people that do not like to do the work themselves, get minor services done. Are they the best trained mechanics? Of course not...but they don't claim to be. That being said I would definatley double check the fluid levels and make sure there are no leaks BEFORE you leave, but I would recommend that no matter who does the work. That's one of the reasons why I like doing it myself.
If Jiffy Lube, or the like, keeps you on your maintenance schedule I say keep going.

Just my opinion.

PS Horror stories like the ones listed DO happen occasionally no matter where you take your car, not just the quick lube establishments.

Old 07-04-2006, 09:28 AM

Dude,

I used to work for JL's parent company and I can assure you that is not their policy "to fake the whole thing" Please don't post something like that unless you have facts to back it up such as pictures or court documents.

Have you ever been in a JL? You can WATCH THEM DO THE WORK and YOU CAN HEAR IT WHEN THEY FILL YOUR CAR WITH OIL.

Old 07-04-2006, 10:31 AM

I have used Wal-Mart for two years (I'd do it myself but can't due to apartment rules) and haven't had a problem. I had a guy at work that took his wife's car to a JiffyLube-type place (don't remember exactly which one) and they drained the oil and filled with power steering fluid . No joke. They paid for the repair work, but man, it was in bad shape.

Quick Reply: Jiffy Lube?