General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Jiffy Lube?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Jiffy Lube?

No matter which place you go to, it's not the name of the chain that matters. It's the people who work there. If you find a JL that has good people who don't screw up, then keep going there.

Old 07-04-2006, 11:40 AM

I guy I used to work with went to a JL once. They torqued his oil pan bolt on too much and broke the threads. So they told him he needed to buy a new oil pan. So he raised hell and finally got them to pay for it.

I guess the main point here is if you can find any shop that does consistent great work, than stay with them and give them your business.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:09 PM

As pointed out there are good and bad folks everywhere. Personally I would not use a quick lube place if you paid me to do so.
Although I must use ramps and it's a bit of a hassle, I prefer to do it myself. Synthetic oil extends the intervals so I don't have to change as often.

Since the previous owner used the same place all the time you might give it a go. My mother's car got about a mile before the engine seized completely. You guessed it....new filter and NO oil in the crankcase. Several employees fired on the spot and a new engine was installed. If there was something good to come of this it was a 305 ci engine that got ruined and a 350 ci put in.

The above problem and countless overfills, underfills, and loose/EXTREMELY tight oil filters over the years cured me of going to any of these type places ever again.

Old 07-04-2006, 12:18 PM

ORIGINAL: YeuEmMaiMai

Dude,

I used to work for JL's parent company and I can assure you that is not their policy "to fake the whole thing" Please don't post something like that unless you have facts to back it up such as pictures or court documents.

Have you ever been in a JL? You can WATCH THEM DO THE WORK and YOU CAN HEAR IT WHEN THEY FILL YOUR CAR WITH OIL.
Here's proof enough for me!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.nbc4.tv/news/8881193/detail.html

Old 07-04-2006, 12:21 PM

Dude,

I used to work for JL's parent company and I can assure you that is not their policy "to fake the whole thing" Please don't post something like that unless you have facts to back it up such as pictures or court documents.

Have you ever been in a JL? You can WATCH THEM DO THE WORK and YOU CAN HEAR IT WHEN THEY FILL YOUR CAR WITH OIL.
Here's proof enough for me and why should you have to watch them?

Old 07-04-2006, 02:15 PM

Sorry to have sparked a flame. My twin brother worked for JL as his first job (17), he was a lower bay tech, the worse job there. He later sued them for not being paid for overtime, being told not to change oil on some vehicles, and a manager who lied to people about being ASE certified (settled out of court via Arbitrator). Unfortunately, most people know so little about their vehicles its hard for them to know something is wrong when they leave these places and they sometimes never find out. Second of all JL's are franchises which means everyone is different except the name, JL tries to use this to avoid lawsuits against the parent company. I'm not saying that all of these places are this way, but alot of them are! If you drive a vehicle with an oil filter that is not common or your car is really hot, do not take your vehicle to quick lubes.

Old 07-04-2006, 02:52 PM

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

Dude,

Here's proof enough for me and why should you have to watch them?

RTexasF: I do believe that Jiffy Lube "rips off" it's customers, but do you think they are the only stores that do that? I have heard the same horror stories from people that have had work done everywhere. That includes mom&pop shops as well as dealerships. You run he risk of this happening anywhere. It doen't matter what work you are having done there is always someone out there that will rip you off. I do believe that you run a higher risk of getting taken at a large franchise store over a small shop. This is not the doing of the franchise but the ownership of that location. I am sure it is not the policy of Jiffy Lube, or any other chain, to STEAL from it's customers.
I am sure Jiffy Lube (as well as any other place that works on your car) tries to "upsale" you on extra services. That is the sales persons job. Hell they do that everywhere you go from the restuarant to the car dealership. Your waiter at the restuarant has a "ticket goal" that has been set by the store. Why do you think he/she offers dessert or a nice bottle of wine with your dinner.
I believe this is an issue with the people allowed to buy franchise locations for these stores not the company itself.

Old 07-04-2006, 05:29 PM
Administrator
Default RE: Jiffy Lube? Wait A Minute!

Wait-A-Minute-,Wait-A-Minute, Wait-A-Minute...am I to understand you Mike that we can get $8.00 an hour to change oil on cars, if so I'm going there to get me a job tomorrow...(by the way folks---that was made to be funnin)...Honest!

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]
ORIGINAL: Mike7311

I know people who work at Jiffy Lube and their not exactly the brightest bubls in the house. They will skip oil filters if the engine is too hot and even fake the whole thing if they're real busy. This is one of the few jobs that doesn't require a Diploma and that's saying something. Who gets ASE certified to do oil changes for 8.00 a hour?

Old 07-04-2006, 05:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you guys act as though JL is the only one that has problems... Problems like tha are the result of PEOPLE WHO ARE DISHONEST. I could point out any # of shops that are like that

Old 07-04-2006, 05:51 PM
Administrator

Lighten Up Peoples, it's almost time for everyones afternoon snack..every person who has had problems with Jiffy Whatever) and any (Lube Whatever) should not go there again.
That hurts the business more than anything you can put in these forums...all you do in here is Insite your own KeyBoard Rage[sm=chairshot.gif] within your selves..Lighten up Friends cause I [sm=hiya.gif] Love Ya All!

WheelBrokerAng [sm=type.gif]

Quick Reply: Jiffy Lube?