General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Jiffy Lube?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 08:50 PM
Default RE: Jiffy Lube?

Happy 4th of July and God Bless America, the greatest country on the face of the planet, where you can change your own oil in peace or take it to someone you trust to do it for you!!!

Old 07-04-2006, 10:51 PM

RTexasF: I do believe that Jiffy Lube "rips off" it's customers, but do you think they are the only stores that do that? I have heard the same horror stories from people that have had work done everywhere. That includes mom&pop shops as well as dealerships. You run he risk of this happening anywhere. It doen't matter what work you are having done there is always someone out there that will rip you off. I do believe that you run a higher risk of getting taken at a large franchise store over a small shop. This is not the doing of the franchise but the ownership of that location. I am sure it is not the policy of Jiffy Lube, or any other chain, to STEAL from it's customers.
I am sure Jiffy Lube (as well as any other place that works on your car) tries to "upsale" you on extra services. That is the sales persons job. Hell they do that everywhere you go from the restuarant to the car dealership. Your waiter at the restuarant has a "ticket goal" that has been set by the store. Why do you think he/she offers dessert or a nice bottle of wine with your dinner.
I believe this is an issue with the people allowed to buy franchise locations for these stores not the company itself.

Gee Golly Whiz! I had no idea!! The topic starter asked about Jiffy Lube... not restaurants or Mom & Pop stores. I know good and well that other stores do that and I've likely got more stories about low down tactics than you've had birthdays. You stated the painfully obvious with no input to the subject at hand.

Old 07-05-2006, 02:21 AM

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

Gee Golly Whiz! I had no idea!! The topic starter asked about Jiffy Lube... not restaurants or Mom & Pop stores. I know good and well that other stores do that and I've likely got more stories about low down tactics than you've had birthdays. You stated the painfully obvious with no input to the subject at hand.
Sorry to upset you with my post but it is quite possible that I am not as articulate as you.

As for not responding to the original post..Been there done that!! Several posts before. This post was in response to YOURS.
Sorry for the confusion.

Old 07-05-2006, 08:33 AM

mpanelli-

No reason to be sorry, I was wrong and apologize for popping off. We all have bad days and this was one of mine, no excuse on my part just getting old and crusty I guess. It's a shame that today we are amazed when someone does what they say or a product actually does what it is supposed to do. We should be able to take that for granted but it's a rarity instead.

Old 07-05-2006, 09:49 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

I have had experiences with JL in the following states and NEVER had a problem

IL, MN, MI, MO, and IN.

Having worked for parent company (pennzoil corp) and knowing serveral of the DMs for JL and other companies like Blue Coral, They were contstantly following up on customer complaints and trying their very BEST to keep their shops HONEST and removing people who are dishonest or did not follow the JL procedures. I can tell you of many instances where a shop screwed up and had to pay for an engine...

I do not use JL anymore becuase Honda dealer is CHEAPER.

To make a blanket statement about all of JL or any other chain purposely trying to rip people off is just plain ignorant.........I saw that video of the store on CA and honestly I am not suprised that stuff like that happens. It's to be expected that some people are dishonest.

Most of the JL techs will actually take the time to show you that your light is busted or your air filter is dirty and will ask you if you want it fixed. IF you say NO then they will not do it.

in 2002 when I brought my 94 accord to them for a trans flush, they did it and nothing bad happened car had 90K on it at the time and now it is at 145K Since then I have changed the trans fluid (drain and fill) once a year with no problems. They changed the oil in my cars from 1994-2003 never a single issue

they changed the serpintine belt on my 92 sable and did a trans flush on that car in 2000 with 101K on it. no problems car ran just fine until it was totalled with 143K on it.

key is to verify all their work I always check the oil my self before I pull off the lot to make sure it is not leaking and that it is still full. I continue to check for leaks over the next few days....

I still do that with my Honda dealer check and verify

Old 07-05-2006, 12:06 PM
hondaeng
Unregistered

I read an article about Jiffy Lube where a news crew in LA took a car there and had a tune-up (Tranny fluid, fuel/air filter, oil, etc.). They video taped the whole thing and the only thing that was done was an oil change. They ended up paying about 400 bones for all this stuff that they didn't do. I think that it is best to do your own routine maintenance so you can ensure that it is done properly. I have also found that it is best to put oem parts only on your car...Think about it.....This car was designed and tweaked to the oem part specs. Why would you want to compromise Honda's great engine design by putting some crappy FRAM filter or something on your car???? Use OEM.. You can get the parts for cheap online. Just google "Honda oem parts". There will be 5 different oem superstores that are very reasonable.

Old 07-05-2006, 12:42 PM

ORIGINAL: hondaeng

I read an article about Jiffy Lube where a news crew in LA took a car there and had a tune-up (Tranny fluid, fuel/air filter, oil, etc.). They video taped the whole thing and the only thing that was done was an oil change. They ended up paying about 400 bones for all this stuff that they didn't do. I think that it is best to do your own routine maintenance so you can ensure that it is done properly. I have also found that it is best to put oem parts only on your car...Think about it.....This car was designed and tweaked to the oem part specs. Why would you want to compromise Honda's great engine design by putting some crappy FRAM filter or something on your car???? Use OEM.. You can get the parts for cheap online. Just google "Honda oem parts". There will be 5 different oem superstores that are very reasonable.

The link to the video is on the 1st page of this thread.

Old 07-05-2006, 01:04 PM
hondaeng
Unregistered

By Gollie....That would be the one!