General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Jump Starter ? Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2018, 06:56 AM
Super Moderator

Hmmm, I certainly wouldn't call a two year old battery "old", winter in New Hampshire is no slouch, and yet the battery in my 2001 Accord is now 9 years 11 months old. Is the battery starting to show signs of age when the OAT is extremely cold? Yes. Will I replace it at this point? Don't know, depends upon how it starts the car now that the weather has warmed up a bit. Yeah, I know, probably a dumb move, but I'm trying to see if I can milk the battery to it's tenth year anniversary.

Old 01-09-2018, 09:33 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by shipo
Hmmm, I certainly wouldn't call a two year old battery "old", winter in New Hampshire is no slouch, and yet the battery in my 2001 Accord is now 9 years 11 months old. Is the battery starting to show signs of age when the OAT is extremely cold? Yes. Will I replace it at this point? Don't know, depends upon how it starts the car now that the weather has warmed up a bit. Yeah, I know, probably a dumb move, but I'm trying to see if I can milk the battery to it's tenth year anniversary.

9 year old battery? Yikes you've done extremely well with that thing. Just be careful I've had them just up and fail from one start to the next. I frequent the Lakes Region quite often (family place "up there") and I can think of a thousand places I wouldn't want my battery to crap out 9:00 at night when it's 10 degrees out! Again, for short money I like having one in my trunk for that oh !@#$ moment.

Old 01-09-2018, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dgp1961
9 year old battery? Yikes you've done extremely well with that thing. Just be careful I've had them just up and fail from one start to the next. I frequent the Lakes Region quite often (family place "up there") and I can think of a thousand places I wouldn't want my battery to crap out 9:00 at night when it's 10 degrees out! Again, for short money I like having one in my trunk for that oh !@#$ moment.
Yeah, this Honda 100-Month battery is the longest lived battery I've ever had. That said, I don't fuss about when/where it may crap out; if it dies, I'll replace it.

Old 01-12-2018, 03:40 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You've done very well to get that kind of mileage out of a battery.Most fail around 7 years IF you're lucky.
It also seems (like everything else) that stuff isn't made to last like it's supposed to any more. Congrats.

Old 01-12-2018, 05:03 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by The Toecutter
You've done very well to get that kind of mileage out of a battery.Most fail around 7 years IF you're lucky.
It also seems (like everything else) that stuff isn't made to last like it's supposed to any more. Congrats.
Well, our recent cold snap spelled R-I-P for that venerable battery; age at death, 9 years, 11 months.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:48 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Well, our recent cold snap spelled R-I-P for that venerable battery; age at death, 9 years, 11 months.

Did you luck out and did it conveniently decide to go in your driveway? Better to be "stuck" at home than 30 miles away in some parking lot.

Old 01-15-2018, 05:54 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dgp1961
Did you luck out and did it conveniently decide to go in your driveway? Better to be "stuck" at home than 30 miles away in some parking lot.
I've never found batteries die away from home; it seems it is the overnight which kills them. Once started in the morning, my batteries have always lasted through the day with no issues.

The morning it was full-dead I simply jump started it from one of our other cars, drove it over to a local store and bought a new battery.