General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Just bought a 2008 Honda accord EX-L V6 220K MI. over a 07 BMW 328i 185K mi. 😢😭

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2021, 09:57 PM
Default Just bought a 2008 Honda accord EX-L V6 220K MI. over a 07 BMW 328i 185K mi. 😢😭

I didn't notice this issue during my test drive because #1 it was only me in the car.. and I only test drove it for about 30 Minutes

if that. (Learned my lesson the hard way once again)

My house was a good hour away from where I bought it but as soon as I pulled into the driveway, me steering the wheel from left to right very slowly was making a very loud "creaking noise" like metal to metal against each other..coming from the drivers side of the car only..

Also seems to have made the steering really stiff and so the car wants to go one way or another and never really just stays in a straight line...sigh
From other forums I've read it could be upper or lower ***** joints or possibly a tie rod or tie rod component.

I'm no mechanic by any means but I know how to feel cars. I'm terribly upset with myself for buying the car even tho I felt like the steering was a bit stiff for my liking and the transmission feels sluggish and Not very smooth.. My last car was a 2006 330i BMW with about 150K miles I paid $3500 for, and WOW there's No comparison.!! I kinda figured going Honda I couldn't go wrong.. OOPS!!

Has anyone else has this creaking sound issue ""while steering the wheel slowly left to right while the cars in park?..""

The guy I got it from let me test drive it alone, which I noticed the noise starts sounding louder faster with 2 people riding in the car,...but after letting the car sit for 20-30 mins if I start it up and turn the wheel to make the creaking sound it's Not as loud and after sitting for the night it will not make the sound until I drive the car for about 40 mins to an hour.

The guy I bought it from just a couple days ago swears he's never heard this sound (he's full of it!) But he's not ripping me off he swears and will buy upper and lower ball joints and fix the car himself. He said it shouldn't need alignment afterwards but if we agree it feels unaligned he will pay for alignment.

I paid $4000 for the 2008 Honda accord EX-L V6 with this issue and the transmission being rough and sluggish on top of the rear bumpers paint looking terrible because of a minor back right accident.

Does this sound like a good deal?? I say I paid atleast $500 too much,but just test drove a black car like it with 325K miles the owner was selling for 2500-3000. And there were 5 ppl waiting to test drive the car when I arrived making me think if I wanted I could resell this car easy..been a few days have it listed in 2 apps and Not a single message about the car.. 😪 So I'll say this once you go BMW, there's No going back.

Plz I could use another opinion from someone with a 2008 Honda Accord.
thanks!

Old 07-14-2021, 10:29 PM
Super Moderator

Noises are tough to diagnose over the web. The quick test is to put the front of the car on jackstands, then turn the steering wheel until it locks. Grab the tire at 3/9 o'clock, push and pull the tire to see if you have any excess movement. There will be some slight movement since the steering wheel can move a bit. If you have an assistant, have them hold the steering wheel, then you should get almost no movement. Do the same at 12/6 o'clock on the tire.

You can pull off the front wheel and look for torn ball joint boots, or a red/dust indicating metal on metal contact due to lack of lubrication on ball joints, tie-rod ends, etc. You can try prying on the stabilizer bar end links.

There is also a very good ericthecarguy video on youtube covering how to find noises on an older V6 TL. This will also apply to your car as well.