General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Long Drive

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 10:10 AM
Default Long Drive

Hi,
I have recently purchased a 2010 Honda accord which has already 1,15,000 miles on it.
I generally take long road trips and drive about 800-1000 miles in a stretch and around 2000 miles on round trip.

Will my car support long road trips without any problem ? Or should i just use for daily commute for the long run ?

And till what miles will it last without any problem ?

Suggestions and answeres highly welcomed and appreciated

Thank you.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:07 PM
Super Moderator

There won't be any specific answers. It all depends too much on the condition of the car.

What engine and transmission? Honda Accords have been known to last easily a few hundred thousand miles.

But with ANY car, it's always possible that a previous owner has not done proper maintenance, or otherwise caused excessive wear. You won't know EVERYTHING that has been done with that car in the last 9 years. The thing to do before you buy a car is have a good mechanic check it out as a "buyer's inspection".

Finally, the "HAF Help" section is for questions about how the website works, not questions about the car. Each forum area has a sticky thread something like "everyone please read this" and it describes what the topic is all about. So I'm going to move this over to General Tech where more people will respond.

Welcome to HAF!

Old 07-20-2019, 08:21 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
There won't be any specific answers. It all depends too much on the condition of the car.

What engine and transmission? Honda Accords have been known to last easily a few hundred thousand miles.

But with ANY car, it's always possible that a previous owner has not done proper maintenance, or otherwise caused excessive wear. You won't know EVERYTHING that has been done with that car in the last 9 years. The thing to do before you buy a car is have a good mechanic check it out as a "buyer's inspection".

Finally, the "HAF Help" section is for questions about how the website works, not questions about the car. Each forum area has a sticky thread something like "everyone please read this" and it describes what the topic is all about. So I'm going to move this over to General Tech where more people will respond.

Welcome to HAF!
I agree. What kind of maintenance has the car had? Is it a daily driver? Just asking, as we use my wife's 2000 Accord for road trips. Her car has 238K miles, but the maintenance is all current, and she drives it daily. We've been to Texas twice in it in the last couple of years (2600 miles round trip), and I wouldn't think twice about taking it again. Even with the higher mileage it has. Most Hondas are designed to go 300K miles plus. Just make sure the car has a good go thru/over/inspection by someone you trust, to look for any issues that might cause a problem. Keep in mind you can run something over and cut a tire, but that's not really anything you can prevent (it's a road hazard). On our last trip, while my wife was driving, she ran over a tractor trailer ratchet strap handle, and cut a side wall of the tire. We had to find a Discount tire to have it replaced. This was 100 miles from home. We arrived 2.5 hours later than planned.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:55 PM
Super Moderator

One notable issue with some; but, not all 8th generation Accords (both 4 and 6 cylinder) is excessive oil consumption. I believe that due to class action lawsuits, Honda extended the warranty related to that issue if it exist for certain VIN ranges.

So for long trips, I would recommend carrying an extra quart and check the oil level after each extended long one-way trip and top off if necessary.

Old 07-20-2019, 11:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You won't have any problem using your car for 2000 mile trips when you're starting at 115,000 miles.
My '92 has 270,000 and is still used for trips like yours.

Welcome to the forum!