General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

loose parking brake?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2021, 04:52 PM
Default loose parking brake?

I have a 2005 Accord. 4 cyl 5 speed.
My parking break is not very strong when it is on. but that isn't what bothers me. When I release the break the handle does not go all the way back down, so the car makes a beeping noise. Like maybe the cable connecting the brake to the handle is stretched out. or maybe it is stretched because the brake needs changed. Anyway, this has been going on for months and I kept meaning to ask about it but haven't. Today I remembered. For me it is not a critical issue but I would like to fix it.
Thank you

Old 11-13-2021, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

The parking brake cable connects to the rear brake calipers. You may want to support the rear of the car and have an assistant pull/release the parking brake. Make sure the mechanical linkage on the rear calipers to the parking brake are not frozen. Also look at the cable to see if it moves in the sheathing, because the cable may be bound in the sheathing. Some penetrating oil could be used to free it up, then use something more permanent like white lithium grease or even gear oil to keep things moving smoothly.

Also look at the remaining material on your brake pads and that the pads can slide in the caliper bracket freely. Also check the slide pins aren't frozen.

Address these issues before attempting to adjust that cable.