General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Lost key in snow 35 below

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2014, 02:58 PM
Default Lost key in snow... Now new keys do not work

I'm in chicago and I was rushing with my dog and "I droped the keys."I have a 1997 accord 4 cylinder. I have no replacement keys. It is an older model of the car and I am hoping I will not need the computer chip that are very expensive. There are prices from 15.00 up to 265.00 Amazon offers, lock smiths and the dealers. Who can I trust?

Honda made a new key I had the Vin number.

Now, I have a bigger problem. A Dealer cut a new car key for only $3.19 (no extra charges due to being a 1997 Accord) I opened the car door, tried to turn the key, would not move one hundredth of one inch. Peefed I called the Honda dealer who came out to me in a courtesy car and we put another key in matching the vin number, year and make. It was the same problem. The driver called his service department who said, “It could be an ignition chip or the steering column. We could tow it in to service.” I thanked him my dad gave me the car, I have taken car of it. Money is a problem any month after an onset of a birth defect. I am living on social security disability. The car started Monday but the car was stuck in snow and ice; I dropped the old key running with my dog.

Last edited by bhktops; 01-09-2014 at 11:06 AM. Reason: New keys have been cut, but....
Old 01-06-2014, 07:52 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

You can look the key up on Majestic Honda. I am unsure of the year Honda went to a Transponder key but Amazon shows 1997 as having one. On my 2003 the Honda dealer got $80 to cut and activate keys with the same price for one or more. They used the vin to cut the key and didn't need one to copy. I had purchase one of the cheap keys off of Amazon and transferred the chip from the old one and the key lasted about a month before the case broke. It was a keyfob type. My 1995 didn't have a chip.

Last edited by kris_loehr; 01-06-2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old 01-06-2014, 08:15 PM

Take your state registration paper to a local Honda dealer. For $10 or so they'll cut a new key using the VIN.

Old 01-06-2014, 09:29 PM
Super Moderator

Your key does not have a transponder. Your local Honda dealer will be able to cut you a key for <$20, like Roader said. I would call your dealership, explain the situation, then ask what documentation you need to get a key cut according to your Vehicle ID Number (VIN).

Last edited by PAhonda; 01-07-2014 at 07:05 PM.
Old 01-07-2014, 10:35 AM

Thanks guys! Dealer matched what you told me I'll head up there today.
GREAT WEBSITE

Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

The immobilizer chips (inside the key) started in the 1998 model-year. You can still get keys made with your VIN, it just costs more.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:45 AM

Now, I have a bigger problem. A Dealer cut a new car key for only $3.19 (no extra charges due to being a 1997 Accord) I opened the car door, tried to turn the key, would not move one hundredth of one inch. Peefed I called the Honda dealer who came out to me in a courtesy car and we put another key in matching the vin number, year and make. It was the same problem. The driver called his service department who said, “It could be an ignition chip or the steering column. We could tow it in to service.” I thanked him my dad gave me the car, I have taken car of it. Money is a problem any month after an onset of a birth defect. I am living on social security disability. The car started Monday but the car was stuck in snow and ice; I dropped the old key running with my dog.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Super Moderator

Time to call a locksmith.

Old 01-09-2014, 09:14 AM

Originally Posted by shipo
Time to call a locksmith.
Maybe not... If the key worked in the door and the ignition before, it may be that the age old steering wheel lock thing.

The last time you got out of the car, you may have turned the steering wheel after you removed the key. The steering wheel could have locked and is now applying pressure on the lock pin which is in the ignition switch. You can resolve this by turning the steering wheel a little to the right and/or left while at the same time turning the ignition key.

Old 01-09-2014, 01:46 PM

I have had keys cut for that generation of Accord and some of them fit the door but not turn in the ignition. One worked after some work with a bush to the key and the other didn't. Not locks were changed on the car. Having a different Honda dealer cut the key is an option.

Any chance the key wasn't push in all the way?

Last edited by kris_loehr; 01-09-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Quick Reply: Lost key in snow 35 below