General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

loud mechanical noise

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 07:16 AM
Default loud mechanical noise

2015 Honda Acord EX-L V6: On a 30 mile trip fron Carlisle PA to Hershey PA, at about 17 miles into the trip, a loud noise came up. Temp was ok, no engine warning light, no engine resistance. I pulled over and checked for something I may have picked up and dragged, it was loud, but nothing was under the car. I was traveling about 65mph, but when I decelerated, the noise diminished, and under 25mph it disappeared. I made my way to my destination, which was a dr appt. An hour later I drove back to Carlisle PA and about 17 miles into the return trip, the noise again came back. Both trips were on an interstate. I pulled over and the noise diminished and then disappeared under 25mph. About two months ago I had both rear brakes replaced, but that noise was different. I left my car whth the garage I use and they kept it for a day. They inspected the front wheel bearings and brakes but found that they were ok. They took it out on the highway but could not make the loud noise repeat. No resolution to the problem. I then drove it on the interstate for about 20 miles at 65mph, and the noise would not arise.

Any suggestions?

Thanks1

Bob

Old 07-16-2023, 09:51 AM
Super Moderator

Noises are tough to diagnose over the web. You'll have to be more descriptive on the type of noise you heard. Was it a rattle, grinding sound, etc? Constant sound, or something with some sort of frequency? Any changes with a/c turned on or off? Maybe record the sound the next time you hear it.

Old 07-16-2023, 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Noises are tough to diagnose over the web. You'll have to be more descriptive on the type of noise you heard. Was it a rattle, grinding sound, etc? Constant sound, or something with some sort of frequency? Any changes with a/c turned on or off? Maybe record the sound the next time you hear it.
I only posted this because a good mechanic test drove it and couldn't make the problem happen; It's a constant grinding noise that is loud at 65mph, but disappears slowly upon decelerating. Under 25 mph it disappears completely. I tried to make the problem happen by driving 25 miles at 65mph, but nothing happened. Thanks for your look.

Bob