General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Loud rattling sound, when starting cold engine on my 2008 Accord? Videos included.

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Location: Palm Harbor, Florida (34683) now; originally from Arizona.
Default Loud rattling sound, when starting cold engine on my 2008 Accord? Videos included.

I have a 2008 Honda Accord (2.4L, 4-cylinder) with around 195,000 miles on it. For the past few weeks, whenever I start my car - after it's been sitting for a while and the motor has cooled down - there is a loud, concerning noise that lasts for about 1 or 2 seconds. The sound is loud and very noticeable and it sounds like some sort of rattling/ticking/clicking sound, but I have no idea what the noise is coming from or being caused by. The sounds only lasts, for about a second; and after the car warms up, it does not make the sound again, when starting my vehicle (until, the engine cools down again). It seems like the issue, that is causing sound, goes away, once the engine has warmed up.

I should also mention, over the past several (6-9) months, my Accord seems to be burning oil at a higher rate than it used to, and I'm wondering if this might have caused/contributed to problem that is causing this sound. Once my engine gets low on oil, there is a vibrating noise that starts to happen (it sounds like it is coming from somewhere along the bottom of the engine area), whenever I accelerate, at low speeds. Apparently, this rattling sound is being caused from some sort of vibration that starts to happen, once the engine gets low on oil. This vibrating/rattling noise typically seems to start happening, after around 3,000 to 4,0000 miles of driving, after the most-recent oil change. However, when I check the Oil Life percentage on my dash gauges, it will routinely shows that it is still around 50%.

With that said, I am going to try to upload 3 videos, with sound, that I recorded this week, while starting my Accord. Hopefully, the sound will be loud and clear and easy to hear.

If someone could try to help me figure out what this noise is, and what I need to do to get the issues fixed (assuming that it is a potentially serious issue, like I believe that it is), I would really appreciate some helpful replies.

Video 1: https://i.imgur.com/MOmHSCF.mp4
Video 2: https://i.imgur.com/z6s3FeK.mp4
Video 3: https://i.imgur.com/m1wEbcm.mp4

Old 07-14-2023, 01:41 PM
Super Moderator

Noises are tough to diagnose over the web. Most likely the vtc actuator phasers are worn and causing the noise. Kind of a common problem on accords of that era. Search the web for videos on that noise. The noise would come from under the valve cover.

Another option is to remove the serpentine belt and let the car cool overnight. Try starting the car and see if you still get the noise. If the noise is missing, it could be any pulley attached to the belt, so alternator, power steering pump, a/c, etc. If the noise remains, then likely the VTC actuator.