General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Low oil pressure @ idle - 93 Accord

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 04:19 PM
Default RE: Low oil pressure @ idle - 93 Accord

ORIGINAL: PAhonda

Is the oil light coming on with the new sensor installed?
I bought the new sensor, but haven't installed it yet.

On a related note - what would cause the light to flash regularly? The flickering led me to believe it was just a direct connection between the sensor and the lamp - but that wouldn't account for the regular flashing, which would indicate some electronics in between.

Is this vehicle OBD2? Likely to have a code available even though the CEL hasn't come on?

edit - nevermind. Just found something indicating that Accords didn't get OBD2 until 96

Old 01-25-2008, 05:05 PM

Based on the fact that it doesn't come on until its at running temperature, it would almost lead me to believe that you have a gasket or hosethat's just gotten dried out. Once the engine heats up, the gaskets and hoses will expand slightly and allow the pressure to be released. But it seems like, you'd be leaking more oil if that was the case.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:09 PM

I couldn't recall what the PCV configuration was on the 93.... I know that a lot of the carb models dump the PCV straight into the air cleaner box so I mentioned it just because I haven't dug around under the hood's of a 93 very much....

How long has it been since you've had an oil change?

I'll throw this out there and see what others think but possibly a failing or clogged oil pump?

Old 01-25-2008, 06:15 PM

Ok, got an oil & filter change on the way home. 10w30 vs. the 5w30 it was running. No significant difference in the light - came on again as soon as things got good and hot.

I think the flashing thing starts after the oil light comes on steady, even if the pressure is currently ok. If I turn off the engine, then start it again immediately, and keep the RPMs up, no flashing light. If I let the RPMs drop again to where the light comes on, the light flashes when I spin it up again.

Will try swapping the pressure switch tomorrow. And there was no oil in the air filter box.

Thanks guys

Old 01-25-2008, 07:02 PM

yeah, most likely it's the oil pressure switch. if you look at it under the boot it's all wet and leaking oil.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The oil pressure switch closes at a very low pressure, 3.6 psi on 90 Accord and yours is probably same. If light is coming on and pressure is truly low, you should hear some clattering valves and perhaps connecting rod knock. If the new pressure switch doesn't resolve the problem (likely IMO), you'll need to pull the oil pan and check the oil pump intake for blockage.

The CEL may be illuminated whenever the oil pressure light is on for a certain period. A flashing CEL is a warning to do something, and not defer service.

good luck

Old 01-25-2008, 11:34 PM

ORIGINAL: TexasHonda

The oil pressure switch closes at a very low pressure, 3.6 psi on 90 Accord and yours is probably same. If light is coming on and pressure is truly low, you should hear some clattering valves and perhaps connecting rod knock. If the new pressure switch doesn't resolve the problem (likely IMO), you'll need to pull the oil pan and check the oil pump intake for blockage.

The CEL may be illuminated whenever the oil pressure light is on for a certain period. A flashing CEL is a warning to do something, and not defer service.

good luck
I was thinking that also - if it was that starved for oil I should hear something. I remember a small block chevy I had that sounded awful if you didn't fill the filter when you did an oil change. But it sounds smooth as silk.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:56 AM

Have you had a chance to change that pressure switch yet?

Old 01-26-2008, 11:31 AM

ORIGINAL: sir_nasty

Have you had a chance to change that pressure switch yet?
Just looking for my haynes manual to find out where it is before I go out to lay in the snow and look for it.

Old 01-26-2008, 11:39 AM

if you are laying on the ground looking up it should be directly above the oil filter. It has a little rubber boot that covers part of it.

Quick Reply: Low oil pressure @ idle - 93 Accord