General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Manual swap maybe???

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2021, 10:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies
Default Manual swap maybe???

Right so, really new to this forum thing so sorry if I do anything dumb, I tried my best to read the rules and such, but still not sure what I'm doin.So I have a auto 86 Lxi and the flexplate is on its way out. Now I usually drive manual and kinda want to have my accord be manual too. So my dilemma is, should I just replace the flexplate and get on with my life, or should I just go for the manual swap as I'd already have to take out the trans and such, and its something I eventually want to do anyways.
Now, I am a mechanic kind of. Well I am, im just more of a novice. I've got ASE knowledge, but I've only started out with the work experience. I've done work with manual swaps on BMW's, as one of the shops I work at sometimes is a drift shop and we do those every now and then. The other shop I work at, I mainly work on ford's and I've done things from pulling engines to ripping apart the dash. Thing is, I dont do it alone. I've always got someone that knows what they're doing with me, and the transmission experience I do have is with RWD vehicles. So, I'm not too well versed with a transaxle.
Now another kicker is, im sorta poor. I work two jobs, but the pay isn't great. So cost is definitely a big factor, and so is time. Don't really have days off, but I'm not in too much of a hurry to do this, as the flexplate still has teeth on it and I'm saving up. I'd most likely be doing this on my own, and possibly would have someone helping me out, im not too sure.
Lastly, im not the brightest. Definitely the type to look up how to do a oil change even though my job is literally to work on cars and I've done em before. I should know these things but I just have a hard time remembering stuff and such, so im at sort of a weird spot ability and experience wise.
So, with that being said. Should I go with the swap, and if so, what should I be preparing for in order to do that. How best can I go about finding a manual. Etc.
Just looking to pick the minds of all you lovely folk here, see what two cents you all got..

[Edit] Should also add, my accord has fairly high ish miles. Around 225k, so that's another reason why I might want to just swap it out.

Kindest Regards,
≈Hachikō, 1986 Accord Lxi Hatchback, 2.0L, Auto

Last edited by Hachikō; 11-07-2021 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-07-2021, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

Your best bet would be to find a wrecked/junked 3G Accord with a manual and buy the entire car, then swap the transmission, shift linkage, clutch linkage, and pretty much anything else which is different.

Old 11-08-2021, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Along with Shipo's comment, work out the entire cost of swapping to a manual transmission with all the parts required vs replacing the flex-plate. The time involved will be longer for the swap.

Given your current circumstances, I'd say the flex plate will be the cheaper and quicker option.

Old 11-09-2021, 10:53 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Along with Shipo's comment, work out the entire cost of swapping to a manual transmission with all the parts required vs replacing the flex-plate. The time involved will be longer for the swap.

Given your current circumstances, I'd say the flex plate will be the cheaper and quicker option.
Not sure if this is how to do a reply, but yeah your probably right. Especially considering if im going to put a whole other trans in there might not want to cheap it as it'd probably give me more headaches down the road. Now, only things going to be finding the flexplate. I've seen that it's teeth are just on a plate, but I've also seen that they're on the torque converter, so not sure what to trust. Well, time to do a bit more research I guess.