General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

MIL on - P0430 - needs CAT converter replaced after 90k miles (P0430), doubtful?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 06:38 PM
Default MIL on - P0430 - needs CAT converter replaced after 90k miles (P0430), doubtful?

Hi guys, I'd like some advice from those who have gone through replacing catalytic converters before.

Here are the facts:
  • 2005 Accord Hybrid, 90,020 miles
  • Passed emission inspection 1 month ago
  • Malfunction indicator light came on while driving normally in city 4 days ago.
  • Dealer said code is P0430

I've done research on the code, and it could be the O2 sensor that's bad, or the cat actually needs to be replaced. The dealer said they have checked the sensor to make sure it's not the cause (but they said so only after I've asked if they have done that!) The parts will be $700 and the labor $400.

I have already put in the parts' order. But now I'm questioning this solution. The fact that I just passed emission test 4 weeks ago, plus my car is only at 90k miles, tells me the cat should still be fine or I'm just very unlucky. Could it be the sensor? Could the dealer lie to get me to repair the more expensive component?

If the cat does need replaced, I guess I can do it myself with the ordered parts. But how do I figure out which cat converter needs to be replaced? (I only see one converter under the car.)
I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Old 10-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Super Moderator

Would your car be a California car? As I believe the emission warranty for California cars is longer than the Federal 8 year/80,000 miles warranty.

This Honda Service News has a brief description regarding trouble code P0430, which is the converter for bank 2. Your car has 3 converters.

"http://www.tegger.com/hondafaq/p0420/A080100.pdf"

Last edited by redbull-1; 10-22-2011 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-22-2011, 07:09 PM
Default thanks

Thanks for the quick response, Redbull. I'm in VA, so the cat is likely out of warranty though I would have to double check.

That document you found is very helpful! So it looks like the bank 2 converter is "The front warm up three way catalytic converter (WU-TWC) that’s bolted to the front cylinder head". Any advice regarding the difficulty of replacing this converter given its location? What is the "front cylinder head" and how risky is it to touch this area?

Thanks a million!

Old 10-22-2011, 07:33 PM
Super Moderator

Once you let the car completely cool down, it's not any more risky than working on many other parts of the car. The cylinder head is just part of the engine. The converter is bolted onto the cylinder head. The only thing with exhaust manifolds and pipes are that due to the extreme heat, they may be a little tough to take off the nuts and bolts. Probably should spray some rust penetrant like PB Blaster or something on them and let it sit a while first. Looks like you will have to remove an air/fuel ratio sensor (a different type of oxygen sensor) and a oxygen sensor too.

If I am looking at the right part number, online Honda dealers sell it for approximately $475 + shipping. List price is like $650.

I may or may not be able to dig up some instructions.

Attached Thumbnails MIL on - P0430 - needs CAT converter replaced after 90k miles (P0430), doubtful?-converters.jpg  
Old 10-22-2011, 07:42 PM
Default thanks

Thanks Redbull. It's good to know there isn't anything too special about the cylinder head. I can probably study the original cat's assembly and figure out how to put the new one in without too much trouble. I know it can't be that hard, since they're only charging $400. (They would charge $100 to change light bulbs, a job that takes me 5 minutes to do. So at worst, this job will take a Saturday morning, hopefully.)

By the way, where did you find that price? I could not find a genuine Honda cat on sale anywhere, including Honda's own shopping site: Honda online store : Select your vehicle to shop for Honda Parts

The catalytic converter is nowhere to be found in the list of parts on sale...

Old 10-22-2011, 07:56 PM
Super Moderator

Some good on-line Honda dealers are like Bernardi Honda Parts, Majestic Honda, etc. I personally used and like Bernardi Honda.

Honda e-store is not the same, they are more for accessories.

The job doesn't look too difficult from some pictures. I am trying to piece together some pictures I found from someone else's post to at least show general items.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:16 PM
Super Moderator

The nuts that attach to the bolts at the bottom of the converter look like easy access, nothing blocking.

The attached pictures were from this thread:

"http://www.v6performance.net/forums/7th-generation-honda-accord-2003-2007/99114-first-production-j-pipe-feeler.html"

From the top, may have to take off one or more plastic covers to give easier access. Possibly might have to remove the coolant reservoir. Air fuel/ratio sensor and oxygen sensor may need to be remove from converter, may or may not be easier to leave the oxygen sensor at the bottom on until the converter is removed. Looks like 4 nuts hold top part of converter to cylinder head.

Attached Thumbnails MIL on - P0430 - needs CAT converter replaced after 90k miles (P0430), doubtful?-general-view-bottom.jpg   MIL on - P0430 - needs CAT converter replaced after 90k miles (P0430), doubtful?-close-up-view-bottom.jpg  
Old 10-22-2011, 08:29 PM

Thank you so very much! You are definitely an Accord guru!
I will give it a whirl next weekend and let you know how it goes.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:36 PM

How did the dealer "check" the O2 sensor? Sounds fishy to me. I just had a similar problem on my son's Subaru. Replaced the front O2 sensor and all is well a month later. O2 sensors are a lot cheaper than cats and have a reliable service life of around 100K, although I have seen them go much longer.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:47 PM

Wunderbra, did your son's car report code P0430 as well? Did you have your Subaru dealer check the O2 sensor and then replace it for you?

Quick Reply: MIL on - P0430 - needs CAT converter replaced after 90k miles (P0430), doubtful?