General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Most Desirable CD7 model/year?

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2020, 01:45 PM
Default Most Desirable CD7 model/year?

Hello Honda world.
I'm new here, old, and have bad eyesight and I read the rules. I've also tried searching for this topic but haven't found anything - which to me seems impossible that someone hasn't already asked this question. Maybe I'm phrasing it improperly? Regardless, I wondered if someone could point me to a thread or provide information regarding CD7s. I'm looking for a Cd7 with a manual transmission. I don't know what year/trim level I'm looking for yet. But with your guidance I hope to narrow it down.

But first...how do I make the font larger so I can read the text?.

My goal would be to drive a clean CD7 with mild mods (updated lights, maybe an understated body kit and slightly stiffer suspension) to use as a commuter.. I've owned a mid 70's CVCC and an 87 CRXsi and I'm looking to downsize and simplify from the gas guzzling and expensive repair bills from my off-road lifted Silverado 4x4, and Lincoln LS (5 spd manual).

1) Which model/year/trim level is the most desirable of the CD7s?.
2) What years should I stay away from?
2) Does the body differences between the 4 and 6 cylinder affect tire/wheel size selection?
3) Are parts readily available?
4) If 4 cyl. I would probably want a mild power increase. In that case should I opt to turbo the 4 or just get a 6cyl?

Any recommendations would be appreciated.

Old 03-20-2020, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

A few comments:
  • If I understand the 5th Gen Accord lineup correctly, by definition a CD7 is equipped exclusively with a 4-Cylinder engine (the V6 models were designated CE6).
  • If you are inclined to drive a car with a manual transmission, then your only option is a 4-Cylinder, there were no V6 Accords made until the 7th Gen cars.
  • Generally speaking, the best car to have in any lineup is the latest model as it has the most bug-fixes applied. In the case of the 5th Gen Accords, the 1997 model year was the final year of production.
  • By far the most desirable of the trim levels are the EX models

Old 03-20-2020, 04:54 PM

Thanks for all the info.
Much appreciated.

Old 03-20-2020, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

The 94-97 accords were very solid cars.

The EX trim has a moon roof, leather interior and had a manual transmission as an option. The LX and DX also were available with a manual transmission, but not leather interior. The 97 SE edition only came with an automatic.

I'd lean towards a 96 or 97 EX manual transmission, only because these are OBD2 cars and you can use a generic scanner to troubleshoot issues, where the 94/95 were OBD1 and limit you on diagnosing problems. Plus the 96/97 rear antenna was integrated into the rear window, where the 94/95 had the power antenna that I always broke in the car wash.

The only "issue" I had with the 5th generation accord was the front rotors were a pain to replace. If you need rotors, there is a conversion called rotor over hub conversion.

With any used vehicle, get a used vehicle inspection done before purchasing at a shop that specializes in Honda or foreign cars. Or a reputable shop will do. You don't want to be surprised with repairs when purchasing a used vehicle. Also find out when the timing belt was changed on this car, because that is a pricey service.

Old 03-21-2020, 05:32 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by PAhonda
The 94-97 accords were very solid cars.
With any used vehicle, get a used vehicle inspection done before purchasing at a shop that specializes in Honda or foreign cars. Or a reputable shop will do. You don't want to be surprised with repairs when purchasing a used vehicle. Also find out when the timing belt was changed on this car, because that is a pricey service.
Yup, when I joined this forum, the 5th gen Accord was the car to own, as everybody on here loved them.
Very good advice. And on the timing belt specifically, since you had a choice of two 4 cylinder engines (VTEC and non-VTEC) and the V6, and they all used a timing belt. All were interference engines as well, and if a timing belt breaks, you can see engine damage (bent valves and broke pistons).
That said I really liked my 97 Accord 4 door LX with 5 speed. It rode great, had lots of room inside and was reliable. I replaced it with a 99 Accord 4 door LX 5 speed, as I preferred the 6th gen body style.