General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Is my ECU fried or what?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 08:14 PM
Newest Of Newbies

UPDATE:
I am back to square one! The problem has to be either behind the interior fuse box, a "mystery" relay, or maybe even the ignition switch.

I installed the "new" wiper motor, installed the proper fuse (30amp), and turned the switch and the fuse blew. This time I did not put in a larger 40amp fuse and fry the good wiper motor.

With some trial and error, I found that the fuse only blows when the wiper motor is conntected. It does not blow any other time when the key is turned. As one last confirmation experiment, I installed a 20amp fuse turned the wiper switch to the on position, and then turned the key to the on posistion. For a quick moment the wiper motor moved then the fuse blew. I did the same thing with a 30amp fuse and the motor moved a little farther yet blew as well.

So, does anyone know how to remove the interior fuse box?

Old 10-13-2012, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

Since it sounds like you already replaced the wiper switch and wiper motor, the short may exist somewhere along the Green/Black wire, connectors or the other two items left (the intermittent wiper relay and the integrated control unit).

Also check the wires and connector to the intermittent wiper relay. Try unplugging the intermittent wiper relay and see if the fuse still blows with the motor connected.

If you have a test light, continuity tester, etc.; a test of the relay can also be performed.

Attached Thumbnails Is my ECU fried or what?-wiper-circuit.jpg   Is my ECU fried or what?-wiper-washer-components.jpg   Is my ECU fried or what?-intermittent-wiper-relay-testing.jpg  
Old 10-14-2012, 09:36 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
Since it sounds like you already replaced the wiper switch and wiper motor, the short may exist somewhere along the Green/Black wire, connectors or the other two items left (the intermittent wiper relay and the integrated control unit).

Also check the wires and connector to the intermittent wiper relay. Try unplugging the intermittent wiper relay and see if the fuse still blows with the motor connected.

If you have a test light, continuity tester, etc.; a test of the relay can also be performed.
I will try this ASAP! I believe there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Old 10-16-2012, 04:07 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by likethatyall
I will try this ASAP! I believe there is light at the end of the tunnel.
I guess the light at the end of the tunnel was an oncoming train.

I could not locate the Intermittent Relay. It must not be a part of the 1997 Accord because I checked both sides of the car (according to the diagram) of where the relay should be and nothing remotely looked like a relayed connection. I looked under the engine compartment fuse box and nothing. I looked under the dash on both sides and nothing. I checked under both front wheel plastic wheel well covers and nothing. I removed the intermittent relay juction box (blue), opened it, and did not notice any burned or bad circuits on the board.

I am going to suggest they sell this piece of GOSAH (Mandarin or Cantonese for ****).

Old 10-16-2012, 04:20 PM
Super Moderator

See if this will help find the relay:

Intermittent wiper relay

Old 10-20-2012, 09:26 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by redbull-1
See if this will help find the relay:

Intermittent wiper relay
It did help!

UPDATE: THE WIPERS WORK!!!!! It was the Intermittent Wiper Relay!!!!

I went to the local pull apart and grabbed three relays. Got to my sisters house, swapped out the relay, turned the key to the 2nd position (no fuse popping noise), and turned the wiper switch and the wipers work perfectly.

I cannot express my sincere appreciation to everyone that helped me through this dilemma. I had to drive 75 miles (one way) each time to get to my sister's house to work on that car. Was it worth it? Anytime you can help a family member, it is always worth it and you guys made it even more worth the while!

Old 10-20-2012, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you got it fixed and reporting back.