General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Front Rotors - 1995 Honda Accord LX 2.7L

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2021, 03:13 PM
Default Need Front Rotors - 1995 Honda Accord LX 2.7L

can someone recommend a few brands of rotors you recommend for the front of a 1995 Honda Accord LX 2.7l. dont need high performance but something of good quality that will last in the Florida heat.

Note: I am using Akebono brake pads.

thanks very much!

Old 04-06-2021, 05:16 PM
Super Moderator

You will get a lot of people's opinions on a good brand for rotors. I stick with OEM Honda or Brembo OEM-spec rotors.

Your front rotors are the style where the hub is in-front of the rotor, so you have to remove the hub/bearing assembly from the knuckle, then slide the rotor over the bearing. It is only 4 extra bolts to unbolt the bearing, but those bearings are typically very stuck in the knuckle due to corrosion over time. Expect to run into issues and possibly require a new bearing when doing this job.

Old 04-06-2021, 06:04 PM

thanks! Im actually replacing aftermarket rotors that I put on 2 years ago. there seems to be a little warp and getting some steering wheel shaking on braking. I guess the Florida heat warped them. I dont think its smart to resurface them do you? I am not doing the work and have an excellent honda guy to do it. I plan on putting on new Akebono brake pads I have in the process.

also, should I replace the front bearings, or at least have the parts available just in case. I cant remember if they were replace. I think so, I have to check my records, but I put new Axles, Tie Rods and Control Arms.

I checked a Honda Parts site and only Rear Rotors are available. I went to Brembo and they do not show anything OE for the front. as a matter of fact the only front rotors that show in the search on Brembo are for 2.2L

Here is what I have found so far.. appreciate your guidance. thank you very much!

Rock Auto : Brembo $40 each - https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...67320&jsn=1485

PartsGeek- Centric - StopTech Sport Drilled/Slotted Disc $68 each

Carid.com - $112 pair drilled slotted - ATL Autosports® - Double Drilled and Slotted Front Brake Rotors more details on -
https://www.carid.com/1995-honda-acc...991410239.html

Carid.com - $178 pair - EBC® - Stage 11 Light Sport Plain Brake Kit more details on -
https://www.carid.com/1995-honda-acc...-60277849.html

Old 04-06-2021, 08:04 PM
Super Moderator

Check this out...
Bedding-in New Brake Rotors - Honda Accord Forum - Honda Accord Enthusiast Forums
Chances are they aren't really warped. If you were to measure the runout then you'd know for sure. If they are straight then resurfacing them might be OK.

If you replace them, I've been happy with Centric and Brembo rotors; I've used a lot of them over the years.

I've never had the need to use drilled or slotted rotors. They can eat up the brake pads a lot faster.

Old 04-06-2021, 08:28 PM

great info! so I read the link. I will keep this info and follow the procedure if I get new rotors or re surface the ones I have. I have brand new brake bads so Ill be ready to go.

so its much less expensive to resurface the rotor and they dont have that many miles on them, so they prolly just need to be resurfaced? is this the approach you would take before purchasing new ones?

I believe the rotors I had put on were Centric, they had a very hard time taking off the factory rotors as the car is over 20 years old. I paid him cash and his frown went right away LOL

I still have the factory Calipers. is it a good idea to replace 25 year old calipers? especially the front?

Old 04-07-2021, 05:22 PM
Super Moderator

The outside temperature wouldn't warp your rotors. The rapid cooling like hitting a puddle with hot rotors or very heavy braking can cause rotors to warp.

You have to evaluate the cost of new rotors vs having the rotors cut with an on-car lathe on the proper route to take. If you take the car to a shop, they should check the runout on the rotor and also the hub to see if the issue is not the rotor buy possibly the hub.

Old 04-07-2021, 05:39 PM

how much is standard pricing for having the rotors cut? I listed some rotors above with prices and links. please let me what you would use in my situation. thanks very much!

Old 04-07-2021, 05:43 PM

is it a good idea to replace the original calipers on the car as well?

Old 04-08-2021, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

I'd inspect the caliper for any obvious issues like a stuck piston, torn piston boot, corrosion on the outside of the piston. If any items are not right, then I'd replace the calipers.

I forgot to mention a frozen caliper can be a cause of the brakes overheating and cause warpage as well.

Old 04-08-2021, 10:09 AM

thanks very much! I will order 2 new calipers for the car. I just ordered ATL Autosports® ATL-C40022-DDSBZ - Double Drilled and Slotted Front Brake Rotors . they are American made $120 for the pair with shipping.

Quick Reply: Need Front Rotors - 1995 Honda Accord LX 2.7L