General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need help f22 external to internal coil conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2022, 07:57 PM
Exclamation Need help f22 external to internal coil conversion

First I want to say thanks in advance. I have a 1994 Honda Accord LX Wagon. For my own reasons I decided to swap my F22B2 cylinder head out for the Vtec F22B1. I went to the junkyard and found a perfect donor, a 1994 Honda Accord EX Sedan. Both Cars are OBD1 (no oil pump region crank sensor) and basically a factory upgrade path from LX to EX. I took the EX Distributor, ECU, and the F22B1 head with me. After refurbishing the head, seals, and lapping the valves I swapped it onto my F22B2 block. Originally I was going to stick with the LX external coil distributor. I overlooked the fact where the coil bracket was mounted was exactly where the vtec solenoid is now. I figured "oh well I'll just make another bracket and keep it anyway". After considering a few things including parts pricing and spares I have, I decided to swap to the EX distributor (the internal coil model). I still have the factory LX external coil wiring harness and need to know what wire to depin and where to repin or connect it to make it work for the EX internal coil. The coil wiring on my LX harness has 3 wires: Green, Yellow, & Black with Yellow Stripe. If I have to extend something it's no big deal I do have wire and connectors to use. Thank you again. Any info helps. I can provide additional information if needed.

Old 02-27-2022, 08:31 AM
Super Moderator

From your LX coil, only the blk/yel wire needs to go to the EX distributor. The yel and grn wires are internal in the EX distributor wiring.

You will need to swap an electrical connector either on the EX distributor or the LX wiring harness to make the connection. Which electrical connector are you swapping?

Old 02-28-2022, 12:11 AM

I happened to run across this https://www.cb7tuner.com/vbb5/forum/...22b-swap-guide
On the section Internal/External Coil Issues they mention the possibility of either directly splicing or putting a 30amp fuse into the external coil connector to complete the circuit between the black/yellow and solid yellow wires. Would this be a good option for my application or is this different?