General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need help, OPD Module error, SRS light on.

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2021, 05:24 PM
Default Need help, OPD Module error, SRS light on.

So I'm new here, and this is my first thread.

A half year ago, I was driving and noticed my srs light (airbag light) was on. I typically wouldn't have worried about fixing it, and I didn't at first, but I live in Virginia, which has a law that says that I can't get a safety inspection passed if that light is on. My car is a 2001 honda accord ex V6.
The light seemed to be on randomly, and I noticed that on startup, my car would occasionally have it off. However, after a couple of days, it was back on and has stayed that way. I had it scanned, and was told that my error code was "OPD sensor error". This is the weight sensor in my passenger seat, and after having it replaced about a month or so ago and resetting the light, it managed to stay off, for all of 2 seconds. I have mangled the dang seat. The spring hooks that attach from the rail to the front cushions are unhooked, and it's a PAIN to try and put them back on. But that's for after fixing the priority, my sensor.
The new sensor I got was from a salvage yard, but there is nothing (no metal rattle from shaking, no burnt prongs, case in good condition) wrong with it. Do I need to put the springs back then reset the light and try again?
And even if that's not the case, I was speaking with my stepfather, and he factually toned that I should do more than just replace it. He said I should chase the wires under the seat (the 3 wires that connect to the bottom) and see if they still have good power. If they don't, replace them, if they do, check the "logic board" (basically the computer or whatever it is that turns on the airbag light when it detects said problem), and if that isn't fine, replace, rinse and repeat with all the corresponding parts that supposedly relate to the sensor in any way. Basically what I'm asking is, should I follow that advice or is he full of it? I was speaking to a coworker with actual experience on hondas and he said don't listen to my stepfather, the "logic board" and wires under the seat don't matter, its the wire connected to the weight sensor itself I should definitely check, or if I want, just get a new seat and that should fix the problem. But if it doesn't fix the problem, what should I do?

Last edited by CENSEO; 12-13-2021 at 07:20 PM.
Old 12-12-2021, 10:36 PM
Super Moderator

Can you find the actual code the scanner found at the parts store and not just the description?

Old 12-12-2021, 11:21 PM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Can you find the actual code the scanner found at the parts store and not just the description?
I had the actual code, but do not remember off the top my head what it was.