General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need Immobilizer - I don't believe dealer

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2023, 11:40 AM
Unhappy Need Immobilizer - I don't believe dealer

Hi All-

I only had one key for my 2003 Honda Accord. My sibling went out for a run and lost it. He couldn't find it anywhere on the trail. The only thing I had was the metal end of an old key which didn't have a RFID chip. I unlocked my door with the metal key end and I thought maybe I could still start it without the chip by using these instructions:
https://rxmechanic.com/how-to-deacti...-immobilizers/

Nothing worked. It would crank, but not start. So I towed the car to the dealer. They said they could make me keys and program the new keys.

Well, I got a call from the dealer that they can't program the keys. They said the immobilizer is bad. It's very hard for me to believe this. The key I had was working just fine. If the immobilizer were bad, that key I had wouldn't work, right? What are the chances that: at the same exact time I lost my only key, the immobilizer also went bad? I don't think the dealer is lying because they said the techs tried 4 or 5 times to program the new keys and it didn't work. I know it's the Honda dealer, but I feel like they are doing something wrong. Or maybe I did something wrong when I followed the instructions in the link above? Maybe I have to reactivate the immobilizer or something?

My car is old and worth probably $400. The dealer wants $450 for a new immobilizer. So no way I'm going to do that.
If there is nothing possible, I would love to know how to completely bypass the immobilizer so I don't have to deal with that security system at all.

Thank you.

Last edited by ma221; 05-17-2023 at 11:44 AM.
Old 05-17-2023, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

I also find it strange the immobilizer failed at the exact same time you lost a working key. I don't think any of those steps would hurt the immobilizer.

Tough call on what to do. I'd reach out to a locksmith to see if they can do the key cutting/programming.

If the immobilizer is bad, you can probably replace it yourself. I'd watch some youtube videos on your specific model and determine if you are able to do the repair. The hardest part will likely be to get the security bolts removed.

I'm sure it is possible to have the immobilizer disabled in your car, but it would be an expensive fix. The PCM ultimately uses the immobilizer to allow the car to start, so a chipped PCM may work. This route would be more than the $450 the dealership wants to charge.

Old 07-30-2023, 02:20 AM
Default Key code

Originally Posted by ma221
Hi All-

I only had one key for my 2003 Honda Accord. My sibling went out for a run and lost it. He couldn't find it anywhere on the trail. The only thing I had was the metal end of an old key which didn't have a RFID chip. I unlocked my door with the metal key end and I thought maybe I could still start it without the chip by using these instructions:
https://rxmechanic.com/how-to-deacti...-immobilizers/

Nothing worked. It would crank, but not start. So I towed the car to the dealer. They said they could make me keys and program the new keys.

Well, I got a call from the dealer that they can't program the keys. They said the immobilizer is bad. It's very hard for me to believe this. The key I had was working just fine. If the immobilizer were bad, that key I had wouldn't work, right? What are the chances that: at the same exact time I lost my only key, the immobilizer also went bad? I don't think the dealer is lying because they said the techs tried 4 or 5 times to program the new keys and it didn't work. I know it's the Honda dealer, but I feel like they are doing something wrong. Or maybe I did something wrong when I followed the instructions in the link above? Maybe I have to reactivate the immobilizer or something?

My car is old and worth probably $400. The dealer wants $450 for a new immobilizer. So no way I'm going to do that.
If there is nothing possible, I would love to know how to completely bypass the immobilizer so I don't have to deal with that security system at all.

Thank you.
You can get the key code for your car and have another key made by a locksmith for around $100. Search how to find key code for 2003 Honda Accord and there's some great videos showing how to do this. The key cylinder down by the left door frame has your specific key code printed on the side of it. You can pop off the plastic cover them take that cylinder out to get your key code. Hope this helps