General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

need some advice! driving car 1000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2010, 01:16 PM

My advice would be to fill-er up and get going. I've got a 97 Accord with 232,000 miles on the clock. She runs like a top and never gives me any troubles. Keep your fluids topped off and changed regularly and get that timing belt/water pump changed sometime soon and enjoy. I tell people, that I will now own a vehicle that I don't feel comfortable driving from coast to coast with no notice, and the Honda's have never let me down. Enjoy!

Old 12-23-2010, 06:55 PM
Newest Of Newbies

thanks for the feedback and help! im going to bring a quart of oil, gallon of water, and hope for the best. im leaving jan.1 and ill update once i get back home. ill be praying i dont break down lol. thanks

Old 01-04-2011, 09:45 PM
Newest Of Newbies

sorry for the late reply. the car ran perfect and smooth. not one problem other then the car wouldn't get warm. the needle stayed near the bottom. when i stopped at a gas station i would let the car idle and it would warm up to the middle but when i drove it went back down. thanks for all the help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 01-04-2011, 09:52 PM
Super Moderator

Sounds like a stuck-open thermostat.

Old 01-05-2011, 06:07 AM
Almost A Senior Member

Originally Posted by caodan2010
You sound like you maintain your car well, 1,000 miles is nothing now-a-days.... lol 1000 a day? its still alot
Your original post stated 1,000 miles - NOT 1,000 miles A DAY...

Old 01-05-2011, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

"antec121"-glad to here. Once again Jim has you on the way with the cooling.

Just wanted to add something. I've paid more attention to the tach since your post. In the 95-at 65 mph, once the converter "locks up" mine runs at 2,250. When "un-locked" it is at 2,500 - I know were only talking 250 rpm's but they add up. Do you feel/see the converter lockup....when was the last time your trans fluid was changed?

Old 01-10-2011, 03:57 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
"antec121"-glad to here. Once again Jim has you on the way with the cooling.

Just wanted to add something. I've paid more attention to the tach since your post. In the 95-at 65 mph, once the converter "locks up" mine runs at 2,250. When "un-locked" it is at 2,500 - I know were only talking 250 rpm's but they add up. Do you feel/see the converter lockup....when was the last time your trans fluid was changed?
I really don't know how to tell if my converter is looking up. I would gladly check if you tell me how . I haven't changed the transmission fluid since ive own the car(bad i know). The fluid is very clean but that still doesn't mean it's clean. I'm going to change it in a couple days. I'm very tight on money at the moment.

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Sounds like a stuck-open thermostat.
that's what i'm thinking. Very easy fix

Old 01-10-2011, 08:37 PM
Super Moderator

As far as the trans-The "lock-up" can be felt (pay close attention) or be seen in the tach. With mine-EDIT (95 EX), when I get to crusing speed of around 60-65 MPH the tach will drop about 250 rpm's when the converter locks up. It is another one of my OCD things where I can feel a drop in rpm's like that...anyway.

If you've had the car for some time and put any kind of miles on it (check the manual for change interv) then I would suggest a drain and fill on the trans. If you've been longer than the rec interv then you might want to do a few (up to ~3) drain and fills-driving a few miles between-so you get a majority of the old fluid out.

Last edited by poorman212; 01-10-2011 at 08:40 PM. Reason: added
Old 01-10-2011, 09:06 PM
Newest Of Newbies

Originally Posted by poorman212
As far as the trans-The "lock-up" can be felt (pay close attention) or be seen in the tach. With mine-EDIT (95 EX), when I get to crusing speed of around 60-65 MPH the tach will drop about 250 rpm's when the converter locks up. It is another one of my OCD things where I can feel a drop in rpm's like that...anyway.

If you've had the car for some time and put any kind of miles on it (check the manual for change interv) then I would suggest a drain and fill on the trans. If you've been longer than the rec interv then you might want to do a few (up to ~3) drain and fills-driving a few miles between-so you get a majority of the old fluid out.
ill check for that lock up feel. never knew a converter would do that. thanks for telling me how to check! i read on here that the transmission fluid doesn't completely drain out and i would have to drain it a couple times to get out all the fluid. ill search for a do it yourself on this site. it needs to be done.

Old 01-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Super Moderator

The lock-up feels a bit like the transmission is shifting, but it's a lot weaker than an actual shift.

Right about the ATF - you can only drain about 1/3 of the total fluid each time.

Get down in front of the right-front tire, looking under the car, towards the centerline of the car. The transmission drain plug has a square hole that accepts a 3/8 socket extension without any socket. Re-fill through the dipstick hole.

Honda ATF (not Dexron or not generic) a bit less than 3 quarts per drain/fill. After filling, check dipstick level with the car all warmed up but turned OFF. That's different than most other car companies who want you to check with the engine idling.

Quick Reply: need some advice! driving car 1000 miles