General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Need suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 07:01 AM
Newest Of Newbies
Exclamation Need suggestions

I have a 2000 honda accord ex with the 2.3 ulev vtec. I have the burring oil problem but I read that most all hondas do it. so i just put heavyer oil in it and it help for about a year now the the engine runs so hot that I am burring up spark plugs left and right. So i want to get a new engine this is where i need suggestions. Now should I go to the junk yard and find and engine with low miles and possibly take the chance of that one buring a ton of oil. Or rebuild the one I have with aftermarket parts and not having it burn oil. also can i switch out the ulev vtec for just a vtec.
I am college student so i need this car for the gas milage. i want the most reliable option rebuild or just buy a used one.

Old 01-25-2012, 07:18 AM

Most hondas definitely DON'T burn oil.
Most cars that were not taken care of definitely DO burn oil.

At 11 years old and your car is already burning oil that much, I have to say the previous owners did not take care of it. I doubt you can find a good junk yard engine for a 2000 Accord though, since it's fairly new.

You sould sell it and buy another used car. Try a reputable Honda dealership. It's easier to sell a car with problems to dealership. Make sure you get at least 1k for this car. And this time make sure you inspect the new car before buying it to make sure it has no problems.

Old 01-25-2012, 08:19 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

yes Hondas do not burn oil.
Have you brought the car to a competent mechanic yet for diagnostics?
Your problems seem very unusual.

Old 01-26-2012, 06:02 AM
Newest Of Newbies

ok well i say that they burn oil because every honda forum i go on there are a large amout if threads that say(heavy oil usage no leaks and not burning out exuhast) and thats what mine does and now its getting worse. the engine that is in this car is from a juny yard and was put in buy a honda dealership it had 80k on it. then I bought the car a year after that was done. when i bought the car i did check it over and its in great shape almost perfect. i checked all the fluids and they were fine and it also had a check engine light which i also checked with my scan tool and all it was,was a evap code. I am a ford technician and work at a dealership so I know cars just not honda's engines. this is my first foreign car so im learning there systems. but now that i know the reason mine burns oil is because the last owner. so now i will look at my options ether get another enigne or rebuild the one i have.

Old 01-26-2012, 07:06 AM

have you replaced the PCV valve yet?
mine started going through a quart of oil per 1,000 miles untill I replaced it and since then hasn't went through a drop of oil
I have a 97 with 140k miles on it.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:42 AM

I think it is unfair to conclude Hondas have oil leak problems because you see posts about it in the Honda forums where people post problems only. You might as well conclude that human is a weak, weak race because of all the sick people you see in the hospital.

If not taken care of perfectly, eventually even a Honda can burn/leak oil... I think that is fair to say... (Yes I know I sound biased...)

Old 01-27-2012, 04:41 AM
Newest Of Newbies

Yes i have done a full tune up on this car and it did not help guess i just got the poor maintaind enigne. but i have found another one with 81k vtec and i know the guy who owns the junk yard so I will pull it. And accordhybridowner think about it a place where people go to talk about car problems only and the largest problem talked about is heavy oil consumption in most years, would lead you to belive these cars have oil problems right. remember hybrid this is my first honda ever. and you cant compar humans to cars. thanks for the info that these cars are as good as i thought they were.

Old 01-27-2012, 07:42 AM

I have been on this website for around a year and a half.
I have seen very few threads about heavy oil consumption, I do not understand why you say you have seen so many threads.

Old 01-27-2012, 09:18 AM

That's great that you were able to find a good condition engine replacement. I would ask the experts around here to see if there is a way to verify that the junkyard replacement is as good as it appears on paper. I wouldn't want to put it on your car only to find out it's full of problems as well.

And yes, being a Honda owner who hasn't had any engine issue, I naturally want to defend Hondas so I feel better about my purchase, so excuse my babbling. :P

Old 01-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Supper Moderator

I would take cripsin advice on the PVC valve first. If not that and since it does not seem your looking for performance I would just do a OEM rebuild if you want reliability and keep your gas mileage. You can swap a JY engine and you could engine up with that’s worse off than yours. I would rather have a rebuild and know for a fact the engine will have a long life time unless it’s not taken care of....other than taking a gamble on a JY engine.

Since your a ford tech I assume you have all the tools to do a rebuild. Honda engines are simple to work on. You can tare it down and rebuild it in a half day. Well if you have all the new parts on hand. I'm sure you have access to Alldata or at least one of your tech buddies should. So you would have all your tq specs/orders on hand. After you start working on a honda you will see they made things simple compared to the fords your use to working on.

Last edited by g22cd5; 01-27-2012 at 09:45 AM.

Quick Reply: Need suggestions