General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

NEW. NEED HELP ON CV BOOT

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 05:32 PM
NICK
Unregistered
Default NEW. NEED HELP ON CV BOOT

hi, i'm new to this forum,but not forums in general*(raptorforum.com) i have a 2002SE, and my pride and joya 2006 yamaha raptor 700r ,and so i did a decent amount of searching on the topic before i posted this, i need to change the cv boot on my drivers side and i'm gettnig ready for a trip from orange county ca, to MN so i want to make sure my car is 100% up to par, i couldn't find a HOW TO section on just the cv boot, i read about other things concerning it, i was just wondering if anyone could post a link, or give me a quick walk thought, wonder good place to buy it, how much i should expect and how hard it is to change.... Thanks in advance for your time, i know it sucks to answer newbie questions that get asked all the time

Old 12-29-2006, 06:40 PM
Default RE: NEW. NEED HELP ON CV BOOT

This really isn't a common question *L* but it has been asked once that I recall so no need to apologize, all questions are worth while.... Although sometimes we'll give you a smart $$$# reply....

Anyway, Fairly straight forward actually. Go to Checker or Autozone and ask for a replacement CV boot, you should get the boot and two clamps. The boot is split so it just slides over the cv axle. Cut off the old one and grease the joint as needed. The new one just slips on around the joint and the hose clamps hold it in place. It's actually quite easy and you'll see what I mean when you buy the part.... I think the part is like $20-$30.00.... Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Old 12-29-2006, 07:08 PM
NICK
Unregistered

awesome , thanks so much, i heard it was easy,and wow, that's a piece of cake. .
yeah i just didn't want to be the "NEWBIE" asking that same damn question,and like i said, i was looking around and thought maybe your old posts only stay so long and then get deleted, thanks again,and come stop by the raptorforum any time. now that i'm on here i'll check it out more, i'm not realy looking fix up my car, but i will check out what problems and maintenece issues are common, these forums are the best place ever!, thanks to all the mods and for your help.

Old 12-29-2006, 07:11 PM
NICK
Unregistered

just to clarify, this should get rid of that "CLICK" sound when i make a turn, it only happens when the turn is at an incline/decline and almost fully turned... or do i have to replace the cv axle it's self?

Old 12-29-2006, 07:27 PM

that click sound is an indication that the axle itself is going out, perhaps the boot has been torn for a bit to long and the dirt and junk has made waste of it.... In a parking lot turn slowly as hard as possible in a circle in one direction then the other. If you hear the clicking noise then you're probably in need of a new cv axle (aka half-shaft).... I think they run about $120.00-$250.00 and are a bit harder to replace but still do-able... there may be a write up in the DIY section or you can just post the question on here again....

Old 12-29-2006, 07:32 PM
NICK
Unregistered

yeah, i think that may be my problem, i can turn all the way and not hear it, but if i go up any driveways while turning, i get that "CLICK" , it only make it once, and if i don't turn all the way i can avoid it sometimes, but i'm about to drive 2500 miles so i dont' want it going out anywhere, i'm pulling my quad on a small 4x8 trailer and hitting 5 sets of duneson the way up, so it'll be a hell of an adventure, and i gotta be ready for anythign

Old 12-29-2006, 07:36 PM
NICK
Unregistered

hows this look for a deal, **** it's kinda a long link, m ight have to copy paste the addrs..
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/98-99...spagenameZWDVW

Old 12-29-2006, 07:52 PM
NICK
Unregistered

or this
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CV-AX...spagenameZWD1V

Old 12-29-2006, 07:56 PM
NICK
Unregistered

not that 2nd one,