General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Newbie here needs help with Belt noise and oil consumption

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2010, 02:14 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
Have you figured out the noise yet? It looks like the PS fluid is getting hot, because the metal hose and the valve cover are getting way too warm.

This could be from a bad PS pump.
I'm hoping it isn't. The sound seemed to go away for a little while but I think I hear it sometimes when driving. Not sure yet, I'll have to further listen to the engine without music going on all the time.

I'll probably just put some generic power steering fluid in to fix the problem (if it isn't the pump)

Old 12-15-2010, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator

Gotta use Honda PS fluid, or at least fluid that says "FOR HONDA". Anything that says "for all cars" will not be good for Honda.

Old 12-16-2010, 02:48 AM

Originally Posted by JimBlake
Gotta use Honda PS fluid, or at least fluid that says "FOR HONDA". Anything that says "for all cars" will not be good for Honda.
O damnit I thought that was only for atf and antifreeze.. I guess Honda knows how to make a car to milk us dry lol..

Gotta go back to my dealer once again

I mean what's next, I "if you decide to have a little fun in the back seat, make sure you and your partner have both consumed honda deneutralizer 24 hours prior to any activities. This will help reduce stains in your car. WARNING: only use honda brand deneutralizer as other products were not specifically made for your car's cloth interior. For leather interior, make sure to purchase the version specified for leather"

I could soo see honda pushing something like that if it made money lol

Last edited by Samzebian; 12-16-2010 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

ATF & PS fluid.

Antifreeze just needs to be non-silicate, which is a whole lot of normal brands.

Old 12-16-2010, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

There some aftermarket companies that make Honda/Acura spec fluid. I've used Valvoline Honda/Acura fluid(I know it as part # HPS-12) for years. In fact I just got some yesterday, changing (supervising the work-oldest sons car) a leaking PS pressure hose this weekend.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:11 AM

ATF & PS fluid.

Antifreeze just needs to be non-silicate, which is a whole lot of normal brands.

lol, I didn't know that. I put prestone in my system, drained it 2 days later and put honda fluid in.

Now the prestone is sitting in a bucket in my garage

it seems the sound is gone, so most of my issues are now resolved...

I just need to get some p/s fluid. And then do the atf fluid change. Was too busy swapping the 4 tires off my sister's lease civic to put on my car. I didn't swap her rims with my tires yet, so I currently have 4 civic rims on my car, looks weird.

luckily her lease is up in 10 days, so they get my old (but usable) tires with just enough tread for a lease return

Old 12-17-2010, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

What I meant was that most are non-silicate. Pretty sure Prestone is non-silicate unless you used a 10-year-old bottle you had laying around. Look at the label on the bottle. "Hybrid OAT" is good.

Biggest thing to worry about is combining different types of corrosion packages. Best to rinse very thoroughly so you don't have to worry about what kind of stuff used to be in there.

Old 12-18-2010, 02:15 AM

What I meant was that most are non-silicate. Pretty sure Prestone is non-silicate unless you used a 10-year-old bottle you had laying around. Look at the label on the bottle. "Hybrid OAT" is good.

Biggest thing to worry about is combining different types of corrosion packages. Best to rinse very thoroughly so you don't have to worry about what kind of stuff used to be in there.
Oh yea I know what you ere saying, but me not knowing this at the time, I just dumped the prestone out and put honda fluid in

Old 12-18-2010, 01:32 PM
Administrator

Watch out cuz they check those lease cars really good when they come back out of lease...

Merry Christmas

Old 12-19-2010, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by WheelBrokerAng
Watch out cuz they check those lease cars really good when they come back out of lease...

Merry Christmas
Well I just put the old accord tires on her rims and my rims on her tires. I had 2 extra civic erins which were in an accident, so I had those put on the lease car and two of the 'good' rims on my car (because one of my rims is cracked and the other is also screwed up)

I still have to re-arrange my tires a bit because one side is civic and the other is accord, but the civic rims are 205/55/16 and the accord rims.205/60/16. By the time I'm done, the front rims will be civic and the back accord (smaller rims in front for winter)

Of course this is all temporary until I still my laptop to get new rims and tires

Quick Reply: Newbie here needs help with Belt noise and oil consumption