General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No Fan When Car off?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2006, 08:48 PM
Default No Fan When Car off?

I'm a little concerned that my fan never comes on when the car is off, even after a decent drive in 100 degree weather. Both fans come on when car is on as normal. I read the DIY overheating and I think that it might be my fan timer module. But I want to check the relay and sensor first. Which relay do I check? The underhood fuse box has long since lost its diagram on the cover. Which specific sensor trips the fan to come on when the car is off, I have heard that it is on the head somewhere but where exactly. Check with the ol' paperclip?
Thanks again and I'm sure our guru's are tired of hearing this sort of thing, but we appreciate it.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Default RE: No Fan When Car off?

Did it run before with the ignition off as the car cooled down? Mine does not run under any conditions once the ignition is off.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:21 PM

It has run before when the ignition is off. I just haven't heard it in a long time. I want to make sure that it is functioning properly.

Old 10-01-2006, 09:23 PM

the cooling fans shouldnt run when the car is turned off at all, so you have either a sensor, relay, or some other electrical issue dealing with your cooling fans

Old 10-01-2006, 10:15 PM

I was pretty sure that if the underhood temp reached a certain degree, around 220 maybe, the fan would come on. If you take a look at the DIY overheating link, there is a section that talks about the fan coming on when the car is off and running all night draining the battery. Mine does not seem to come on when car is off at all though.

Old 10-01-2006, 10:16 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: drummer1279

the cooling fans shouldnt run when the car is turned off at all, so you have either a sensor, relay, or some other electrical issue dealing with your cooling fans
wrong my friend..........if underhood temp reaches over 223 F ,, the fan will come on ... that's what the switch at the end of the top radiator hose is there for among with

when temp reaches 223 the switch will close , sending a signal tp the radiat fan control module,, which in turn energizes the relay so main cooing fan will come on

assuming everything on the sytem works ok,,

but it is really no big deal if fan does not come on after engine is off.. AS long as BOTH fans come on when engine is running to keep engine from overheating

Old 10-01-2006, 10:52 PM

Thanks Deserthonda! So basically, I don't need to worry about it? Both fans do come on. I read somwhere that said that the aluminum heads on hondas were a little fragile and that is why that fan is needed. I'm no expert but I don't see why someone would say that.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:43 PM

sorry desert, I thought that cooling fans just ran when the power was run to the car to turn it on.

Old 10-02-2006, 12:30 AM
Administrator

My Honda has come on when the engine deems it needs to cool down for over 10 years or more so it's normal for mine to be running after Ive come home from a run...

WheelBrokerAng

Old 10-09-2006, 01:03 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: drummer1279

sorry desert, I thought that cooling fans just ran when the power was run to the car to turn it on.
I think what you're saying is true for newer Hondas. My '95 Integra & '98 Accord don't have that 2nd fan switch nor the fan timer module, so their fans have no way of running with the key turned off. Not the same system for all models, all years.

Quick Reply: No Fan When Car off?