General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

no power to fuel pump

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 11:59 AM
Default no power to fuel pump

Hello, 94 accord 2 dr lx has no power to fuel pump. Will turn over but wont start, no fuel pump sound when key on, pulled pump from tank and spins willingly when connected to 12 volts. Tried to perform relay test as shown here - Testing a Honda Main Relay - Honda Main Relay Test - How To Test a Main Relay

My terminals differ from the ones shown on the test page. Mine are:
7 8
5 6
1 2
Can anyone tell me which terminals to test for fuel pump? I have to go to work now so tomorrow I will follow test for harness power and would like to test harness on tank to fuel pump. Also will test ignition switch. Thanks for input and help.

Old 02-09-2012, 07:40 PM
Super Moderator

Scoll about 3/4 of the way down......does this look better?

Main Relay Fix, Troubleshooting (Honda, Acura) and how to solder

Old 02-09-2012, 11:12 PM
Default Gracias Poorman

Exactly what I needed, Thank you.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:58 PM
Default Ok so the relay checked out.

Checked the relay by applying 12 volts and got continuity and clicking. Have power in the trunk where the harness connects to sending unit and pump, about 11.4 volts. Is that showing power to the pump or just sending unit? Checked fuel pump three times outside the tank off battery power and it spun away perfectly. My check engine light stays on after the key the key is put to position II. I shorted the two pin connector to look for codes and the light does nothing but stay on solid. I'm hoping its not the ecu but am kind of stuck until I know where to look next. Thanks for the help.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

The blk/yel wire carries fuel pump voltage supply. If you have 12V on this wire and fuel pump does not start, then fuel pump is sticking, probably intermittently.

Despite hearing clicks of the relay, the solder connections may be bad preventinig power to be coupled to the fuel pump.

Have you confirmed that spark is present? Suggest spraying throttle body cleaner into air intake (3-5 secs) and see if car starts briefly. This confirms good spark and indicates problem is fuel supply.

good luck

Old 02-11-2012, 02:52 PM

Thanks Texas, It does run w starting fluid sprayed in throttle body. My harness in trunk shows 6.3 on yell/dk blue, and 11.2 on light blue/red. 0.00 on black yellow.
When cel stays on but wont flash, just stays on solid, when blue 2 pin is shorted, what does that mean? Bad ECU?

Old 02-11-2012, 03:51 PM

Ok, no power at no. 7 on relay, relay plugged in checking harness side during first 2 seconds of key on or after. Do have power to yell/black at all times.
CEL turns off after approx 68 seconds. Any opinions?

Old 02-11-2012, 04:11 PM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

If Main Fuel Relay is working correctly, the CEL will stay on for 2-3 secs and cut off. Power to the fuel pump via blk/yel will go off at that time also.

It sounds like your Ignition Switch has some problems to me. No. 7 should have 12v as long as keyswitch is ON. If Keyswitch is On and No. 7 has no power, then a new ignition switch assy is indicated.

Replace ignition switch assy and see if problem w/ fuel pump is fixed. Check DIY Forum for description of this process. Also there are some good youtube videos on keyswitch assy replacement in Hondas.

good luck

Old 02-11-2012, 04:31 PM

Thank you Texas, I've got laptop in car w meter and test light, testing away! Will try ignition switch.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:07 PM

Insanity!! Kept probing ignition and fuse box. Had the wife come out to turn key on while I tested voltage at the harness in trunk. Not only did I now get power for 2 seconds but the CEL now shuts off after 2 seconds!! It wouldnt turn off for over a minute before. I didnt fix anything and now I have a working fuel pump!!!!!!Thats the worst kind of fix.

Quick Reply: no power to fuel pump