General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No Vacuum at EGR Pump 92 Accord EX Auto

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2012, 07:50 PM

UPDATE:

I tested the CVC Valve and I got 7in Hg vacuum at idle.

So I retested the EGR Control Solenoid Valve by hot wire method at idle once again just to be sure the valve is operating as it should and with the car running I get 6.5 in Hg vacuum.

My Conclusion: it has to be the EGR Valve Lift Sensor telling the ECU wrong information.

So unless any one has a better idea of me purchasing a new EGR Valve at Autozone then that is what I'll be doing.

Last edited by Ineedhelp; 03-07-2012 at 10:28 PM.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by 9DEX
Ineedhelp,

Checkout my posts "90 Accord EX failed smog". I had similar issues with my EGR system. As Honda dude mentioned, The EGR will only receive vacuum under certain loads. I did not read vacuum in park above 1800 rpm. Only when I road tested with vacuum gage connected to a tee at line #16.
Even then I only read approx 2-3" and never the 8" as called out in the manual.
The EGR port cleaning allowed the car to pass the Calif. smog by greatly reducing the NOx numbers.
OK after replacing the EGR Valve w/a new one from AutoZone I am happy to announce that I get the same results you get in this post here. I also only get about 2-3 in. Hg vacuum when the T is used at the EGR valve in gear driving down the road.

The best thing is now Line #16 is holding steady vacuum where as before it would drop off to zero after about 1/2 a second. I think the problem was the EGR postioning sensor.

I'll get a smog test tomorrow and let you all know how it goes.

Old 03-08-2012, 07:57 AM

Be sure to fully warm up the cat before the test.
Also please post your test result numbers (before and after) if you have time and don't mind doing it.

Thanks.

Old 03-08-2012, 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by 9DEX
Be sure to fully warm up the cat before the test.
Also please post your test result numbers (before and after) if you have time and don't mind doing it.

Thanks.
I'll just scan the results and post the images of the scans.

Old 03-08-2012, 04:58 PM

Test results = barely passed...

The top numbers repersent the test two weeks ago when it failed and the bottem numbers are from todays test results. The smog tech told me the numbers look like the O2 Sensor & or the Cat is bad.

What do you guys think?

Thank you,

Tony

Attached Thumbnails No Vacuum at EGR Pump 92 Accord EX Auto-92-accord-ex-smog-results.jpg  
Old 03-09-2012, 09:22 AM

Congrats on getting your car to pass.

You said that you did the EGR port cleaning. Did you drill out the port plugs and then throughly clean each passage. There are 6 plugs. How many did you remove? As others have posted and my own experience is that this port cleaning has the biggest effect on reducing Nox by allowing the maximum amount of exhaust gases to enter the combuster chamber and reduce Nox. If you did this and are confident that the passages are very clean, then I would try the following to get it to pass by the next test in 2 years.

Also what did the smog tech say your timing was set at.
The spec is 15 degrees plus or minus 2 degrees.

You were right on the edge of failing the NOx, so you will need every bit of help to pass. So right before your next smog is due I would again inspect all tune up items,(plugs,cap,rotor,pcv valve, air filter), change the oil and filter, verify the timing is set correctly. In fact, I would probably retard it slightly (14 or 13 degrees). This will reduce your NOx but will raise your HC and CO readings.

Also drive the car for a minimum of 20 minutes on the freeway to get the cat good and hot prior to the test.

Maybe run a tank of mid or premium grade fuel.

If your numbers were way higher I would look at replacing your O2 sensor or cat but you are so close I would do the above items to get it to pass again.

Thanks for posting your results.

Old 03-09-2012, 12:13 PM

I'll replace the O2 sesor soon just to rule that out as the reason it has a high RPM range hesitation 3000+

I'll also be doing the cap, rotor, plugs and wires soon as they are getting up there in age as well.

Regarding the EGR passages, I pulled all 6 plugs and cleaned the passages and port holes with a metal pick and a little bit of Seafoam after scraping all the cabon out. Additionally I added Seafoam to the oil which I'll be changing this weekend.

Old 03-10-2012, 07:53 AM
Super Moderator

Congrats on passing as well

Old 03-10-2012, 01:36 PM

Thanks poorman. I decided to go ahead and purchase the OEM Replica Shop Service manual on Disk from Fleebay. I figured for less than $35.00 shipped I could not go wrong and hopefully it will have those elusive missing pages we all need to properly diagnose the EGR System on these 92 Accords

Old 03-10-2012, 04:19 PM
Super Moderator

Cool...if you don't mind, e-mail me the testing for the lift sensor once you get it

Quick Reply: No Vacuum at EGR Pump 92 Accord EX Auto