General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

No voltage on black and yellow wire at compressor clutch relay

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2019, 07:46 PM
Default No voltage on black and yellow wire at compressor clutch relay

I have a 1997 honda accord lx wagon 4 cylinder non vtec when i got the car it had no ac function at all condenser fan wouldnt engage and neither would the compressor clutch i got a junkyard evaporator thermostat and that fixed the fans now they engage when the ac is turned on but still no power to the clutch. I tested the wires at the compressor clutch relay and they are as follows with car started and running and ac turned on white wire has 14 volts. black and yellow wire has 4 volts. Red wire has continuity to ground and the red and blue wire i think has no continuity to ground but i believe that wire gets its ground signal from the ecm so i think it makes sence that it wouldnt have continuity wen testing with normal ground points i looked at a wire diagram and it said that the compressor clutch relay recieves its power from the radiator fan control moduale behind the glovebox but i the module looks fine and i replaced it with another junkyard radiator control module and i still have the same problem also cleaned the ground behind the glovebox on the passengers side amd that didnt fix it either not sure where to go from here any advice would help from here i have 3 kids and it was 97 degrees today i need to fix my a.c asap. Also fuses all look good and so do relays ive switch known good fuses and relays with possible bad ones so im sure they are in working order

Last edited by Brokeasajoke; 07-21-2019 at 09:28 PM.
Old 07-22-2019, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

I'm moving this to General Tech where you'll get more help. The "new member" area is mostly for welcome & introductions.

Have you checked out the pressure switches in the AC system? Maybe they're preventing it either the pressure is too low or something wrong with the switches?

Old 07-22-2019, 01:45 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by JimBlake
I'm moving this to General Tech where you'll get more help. The "new member" area is mostly for welcome & introductions.

Have you checked out the pressure switches in the AC system? Maybe they're preventing it either the pressure is too low or something wrong with the switches?
Yes, if the system is low on refrigerant, the low pressure switches will keep the compressor from engaging the clutch, not allowing the compressor to run. But like Jim mentioned, test the switches too, as a bad switch can keep it from operating. If you're low on refrigerant, you'll need to find out why (possible "O" ring leak, or something else).
I know it's not much help, but then I'm not an A/C mechanic.

Old 07-22-2019, 07:25 PM
Super Moderator

The blk/yel and white wires are the 12V sources for the relay. The white wire gets 12V from the #34 fuse (15A) in the engine bay fuse box. The blk/yel wire gets 12V from the driver's side under dash #8 (7.5 amp) fuse.

Are you back-probing the compressor relay and testing while trying to turn on the a/c?

Do both fans on the radiator turn on, when you turn on the a/c with the engine running?