General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

noob question: what does this push button and this light do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2010, 10:11 PM

Got the car fixed, it was the distributor.

However, I still have the issue(strange question) about this button and LED.
I have figured it out that it is the dealer installed factory alarm system, which is not active right now(I do not know how to).
When I bought the car, I didnt get the remotes from the previous owner, I guess he didnt have it as well.
However, the mechanic gave me a remote from some junked accord. It looked like a remote from 5th gen.
My research has led to some results :

97 LX accords came with dealer installed security system.

And it is installed in my car.
Under the steering, I see this honda secuirty control main unit.
PN: 08E51-SV4-1M0-F2
REF NO: HFS-610
FCC ID: A269ZUA104

I read these systems were in acura.

Now about the remote I got from my mechanic:
Its an old bruised remote, and looks like it is for the same generation honda.
The worst part is, the FCC id is totally worn off from the back of the remote.
The remote works, the LED flashes.

I tried the instructions given in the the Majestic honda to sync the remote to the system, no go.
Now I suspect the remote may not be for the same security system.
Is there anyway to make it work with this system?
Well I wanted to try because I got this remote for free and the security system already in there.
I checked ebay and all for the remotes, but they are expensive, I guess for that kind of money I can get an aftermarket alarm with remote start just for the price of OEM remote.
I am not willing to spend on the new alarm nor in an expensive remote.
My theory is to fix it rather than replace it.
I can go check the junkyard may be for just a remote that too I am not sure if I will get the correct remote.

Before I do that, I wanted to ask some questions:

1)Is it possible that the alarm system is not connected at all, thats why it is not responding to the sync process? The LED doesnt blink whatever I do, start the car, on ON position, press the reset button, lock the doors, go into the program mode(which never goes) with the transmitter remote.

2)Is it possible for the remote from another generation cannot be synced?

3)Can I buy remote for this system for cheap(may be around $10)

Here are the pictures of the security system and remote.
noob question: what does this push button and this light do?-img_2484.jpg

noob question: what does this push button and this light do?-img_2474.jpg

Old 11-25-2010, 12:01 AM
Super Moderator

The security system is an added on accessory item installed at the dealership, the 97 LX didn't come with them.

That may not be the correct remote for your year Accord. Refer to this Honda Service Bulletin, look at the difference of how the key loop on your pictured remote is and compare to the one for your year Accord on page 7 of the bulletin. (Your pictured remote looks like the one for the 03-04 Accord DX on page 5.)

tegger.com/hondafaq/misc/98-011.pdf

Since you said the alarm doesn't appear to be working, it may possibly not be hooked up or something else. Anyways try this on the security control unit, try switching it from manual to auto, to see if there is a difference.

Old 11-25-2010, 01:27 AM

i followed the same instructions on that page to work the remote out but didnt work.

I will try switching it to auto tomorrow in the morning and see how it goes.

Happy thanksgiving everyone.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:27 AM
Super Moderator

The remote may also not be the right remote, so even if you follow the programming instructions, it may not work regardless.

Old 11-25-2010, 10:56 AM

Yup I believe the same now.
And the swtiching the security to auto didnt yield any results, with the doors unlocked and driving above 10mph, 20 mph, waiting for 30 seconds. Nothing.
I suspect the alarm is not connected, and the remote is from different model.
Well, I will search for a remote, if I find one then I will try again.

Old 11-26-2010, 12:08 AM

Alright, the alarm works. I do not know why it didnt work the first time I drove after having it set to auto.
When I went to the car, opened the door, got inside and put the key in, the horn started giving alarm. Damn it was noisy. Thank god I knew the disarm button(thanks to the forum), else my neighbors would have thought I am trying to jack my own car.
Now I know that the remote is not compatible, thats why I was not able to sync it. Any idea what would be the compatible remote for this, may be part number or something?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:31 AM
Super Moderator : And A Texan

Check ebay or online for remotes. I have this same security system, w/ damaged remote keys (they are a poor design and fail easily). Theft of these cars is not as likely at their age.

good luck

Old 11-26-2010, 10:55 AM

Yup searching for the same now in ebay TexasHonda, the annoying part is even the sellers dont know if it will work with the security system I have. And its not so cheap. I will keep looking though.
Thanks everyone.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:56 AM
Super Moderator

The part number was listed on page 7 of the bulletin. Honda part number 39950-S01-A01.

Old 11-26-2010, 10:57 AM

Yup looking for the same part number now on ebay/ online shopping redbull-1. Dealer is just plain expensive.

Quick Reply: noob question: what does this push button and this light do?