General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Filter Myth...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 04:01 AM
Default Oil Filter Myth...

Well, I have been told by other people that to use Honda Oil Filter on the Engine. That is why the Honda/Toyota's last forever. They have something special in their oil filter that other corporation cant copy. IDK is this true? On my Dad Toyota, we have been ordering Factory Oil Filters and use Mobil 1 5w-30 Syn Motor Oil. On this Honda Accord, I only change the oil once and use Mobil 1 5000 Clean 10w-30 Motor Oil and Puralotor Pure One Oil Filter. When I brought it for a Timing Belt Job and Replace one Heater Hose. They change the oil and use Honda Oil Filter and Oil. So I was wondering, Is this True? That I have to use OEM on Japanese*** cars to let it last forever? or just totally BS? Plus, who make Honda and Toyota Oil Filters? Denso maybe?

Thanks
Anthony

BTW. I know my english SUCKS!

Old 03-25-2007, 06:14 AM
Default RE: Oil Filter Myth...

I don't know if there is that big of a secret with the OEM models vs. other companies. Even if there were all another company would have to do is open up an OEM filter and copy the technology, even if were under copyright they could still make a duplicate that was almost the same and still not violate any laws. I had my old engine for 14 years before I replaced it, and it never had an OEM filter since the first oil change and it ran perfect up till the day I removed it. That engine is still running good today in friends car.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:01 PM

I don't think it really matters what type of oil filter you use. I am pretty sure that they are made with the same type of material.I have been using Fram oil filters (model CPH3593A)for the 2 years I have owed the car, and I have put about 75000km on it since then. The car now has 280000kms. When it comes to oil, I make sure that it first has the API "Starburst" symbol on it. That tells me that it meets todays standards. I also look on the back of the bottle, just to make sure it is a SM rating, and also a GF-4. As long as I see all that, I know it good for the car. I know you can still get SL, and SJ ratings (SL is for 2004 and older engines and SJ is for 2001 and older engines) but why not have the SM rating, and have the oil standards for todays engines. GF-4 tells us that it meets or exceeds european standands. That is the info I use when buying oil, and filters.

Old 03-25-2007, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Iworked at a shop that had a bandsaw in the toolroom; I've cut open all different brands of oil filters to make a display in the customer waiting area.
I wouldn't put a fram filter on a lawn mower engine.
What the Honda filter offers is 'anti drain back' that allows oil to get to pressure faster on cold starts because the filter doesn't have to be refilled every time; Also the bypass, so that even if the filter is blocking up, the oil pressure to the engine will 'bypass' and keep oil flowing. Better to have unfiltered oil than NO oil at all.

Old 03-25-2007, 03:42 PM

I would agree with Hondadude with the FRAM FILTER. They suck and cheap made. That is why I only use Pure One Filters, Wix, Napa Gold and etc.. I just wanted to make sure that it is ok to use these filters for the Honda and Toyota. Im just new to the import world and want the best for my cars I maintain.... What are ya'll recommendation on Filters for Honda?

Old 03-25-2007, 04:03 PM

For one, the honda filters are not made by honda (Filtech?and some other company). Second, I've noticed that the honda filters fit the oil cooler much better than say a Fram. The reson I bring this up is that some people have had leeks come from the oil cooler center bolt. The only thing that would cause this is by putting filters on too tight over time.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:13 PM

What's your take on the filters made by Bosch there Hondadude?

Old 03-25-2007, 06:29 PM
19Accord97
Unregistered

All we use are Fram filters. I get the Toughgaurd or the TRT filter. There was a review on tv that said the only worth Fram filters are the TRT and Extended life ones. We've never had a problem w/ them ever though.

Old 03-25-2007, 06:34 PM

Some Honda filters are indeed made by Fram to Honda's specs. I use Honda filters madeby Filtech which are preferred. Why? I simply got a good deal on a bunch of them. When I run out of them I'll likely go with a name brand filter (other than Fram). There's no special ingredient ina filter with the Honda name on it other than it meets their requirements....as most all do.

Old 03-25-2007, 07:24 PM
poser_pilot6
Unregistered

I have always used the filters from the local Honda dealership. I dont know which ones they are, Fram or Filtech. I use Mobil One oil filters in my wifes Maxima.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Myth...