General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Filter Myth...

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 08:17 PM
Default RE: Oil Filter Myth...

I read good thingsabout these filters Wix, Napa Gold and Purolatertheyare the threefilters of choice. There is one by Amsoil that is rated very good. Go to www.bobistheoilguy.comforums. There is a whole foum onoil filters.

Old 03-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Shadow1992

What's your take on the filters made by Bosch there Hondadude?
Pretty well made from the ones I saw a few years ago, filter material is caged well, and they have an antidrain flapper

Old 03-26-2007, 12:55 AM

ORIGINAL: hondadude

What the Honda filter offers is 'anti drain back' that allows oil to get to pressure faster on cold starts because the filter doesn't have to be refilled every time; Also the bypass, so that even if the filter is blocking up, the oil pressure to the engine will 'bypass' and keep oil flowing. Better to have unfiltered oil than NO oil at all.
From my understanding of oil filters, is that you just explained the bypass valve twice. The bypass is opened on cold starts, with the pressure of thick oil opening it, and then going straight into the engine unfiltered. Like you said, it is better to have any oil than none at all. Fram and many, many other filters have bypass vavles.

Old 03-26-2007, 12:58 AM

I have always used Fram (since I got my first car in 1998) and NEVER had any problems. I think it's like anything else, everything hasa good and bad rep. I am sure people here use Fram, and others don't think it belongs on the shelf, probably just like motor oil, tires, antifreeze, windshield wash etc.........

Old 03-26-2007, 09:54 AM

ORIGINAL: 95 exR

I have always used Fram (since I got my first car in 1998) and NEVER had any problems. I think it's like anything else, everything hasa good and bad rep. I am sure people here use Fram, and others don't think it belongs on the shelf, probably just like motor oil, tires, antifreeze, windshield wash etc.........
It's not that they are engine threatening but they are the most poorly constructed filter made. Better filters can be had for the same or less money is really the point.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:14 AM

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

ORIGINAL: 95 exR

It's not that they are engine threatening but they are the most poorly constructed filter made. Better filters can be had for the same or less money is really the point.
I have never actually looked into the construction of a filter. I should look into that. Now I am curious.

Old 03-26-2007, 11:45 AM

This is very dated and may not be totally accurate currently but it will give you some good info to digest. Take the time to read all of it :

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html

Old 03-26-2007, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: RTexasF

This is very dated and may not be totally accurate currently but it will give you some good info to digest. Take the time to read all of it :

http://minimopar.knizefamily.net/oilfilterstudy.html
Thanks. There is some good info in that article.

Old 03-26-2007, 06:49 PM

Fram filters have shoddy construction. you would be better off using a WalMart oil filter wich arent bad filters at all, they are made by champion labs I believe. other than anything made by fram/honeywell you are good.

Old 03-26-2007, 08:37 PM

Here's another good article with pictures and test results of different filters that show how many pleates etc. there is...

http://www.ntpog.org/reviews/filters/old_filters.shtml

Quick Reply: Oil Filter Myth...