General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil and filter questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 10:34 AM
Default Oil and filter questions

I have an '04 Accord LX (4 cyl) with about 80,000 miles. My wife drives it, primarily for short commutes and errands. I'm looking for information on appropriate motor oil and filter for this car. I've done a little reading on the Bob Is The Oil Guy forum, but frankly, it's all over my head. But from what I understand, the oil filter sold at the Honda dealership aren't all that great. Any recommendations?

FWIW, starting a thread like this on the BMW forums gets an instant flaming, as the topic has been beaten to death there. I'm sorry if it's been beaten to death here as well, but I can't get search results for "oil." So, if it has indeed been discussed at length and I'm just missing it, please just point me in the right direction. Thanks!

Old 03-05-2011, 11:16 AM
Super Moderator

Not much flaming here......it is a highly debated topic and everyone has an opinion. What to use, when to change, ect....

Personally I use WIX filters and Valvoline oil of the correct weight/viscosity. Maybe not the answer you were looking for....

Old 03-05-2011, 11:27 AM

Ok, good start. My first guess is with the short trip/stop and go use, I'd want an oil with good detergent quallities. But where to start?

More info - I don't wish to spend big bucks on boutique brands, but won't hesitate to pay a little extra for what's good. So, Syntec vs. Mobil 1 vs. Honda vs. ? Keep the thoughts coming!

Old 03-05-2011, 11:30 AM

I have done some research on this for the same reasons as you. I was looking for a good oil filter for both my Honda cars and Honda motorcyles. Pretty amazing but the filter that ranked right in the top was by far the cheapest. Walmarts filters are actually very good, inexpensive and readily available. I can find motorcycle and car filters at Walmart. My fleet of five Hondas and three motorcycles and two Ford trucks all use Walmart filters. They are all approaching the 200K or 300k mark with no oil related issues. Trucks run on Rotella and cars and motorcycles run on Havoline or Walmart oil. I am happy and satisfied.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:56 PM
Super Moderator

I use Castrol GTX and Purolator Pure-One filters. Mobil-1 on the Saabs because of the high temperature of the turbochargers. I've heard WalMart filters & oil are good too. Not so much the Frams that are all over WalMart shelves.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:35 AM

The Accord engines are really easy on oil. So you really can't go wrong on oil/filter choice as long as you change then regularly. All of the mainstream oils out there (Pennzoil/Q-State/Valvoline/Mobil/Etc.) are going to have robust base stocks and good add packs. Some folks buy what's on sale, some buy based on the the color of the bottle. Unless your car has some leaks, you don't need a high mileage oil. You can go with a synthetic if you want, but you could also go with a dino oil. Pick one brand you like and see how it goes. Stock up when it's cheap. As for filters, Purolators, and Wix are pretty good. Stay away from Fram orange can of death. I run either Purolator or Wix filter plus whatever is on sale (QS/Mobil 5000/PYB) at Wal-Mart in my '02 Accord.

I think the Honda OEM filters are better than Fram, but Pur/Wix are better than OEM. Cheaper too, I bet.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:19 AM
Default filters

how does one figure out which filter is better? keep your honda a honda ! buy the oem filter

Old 03-06-2011, 11:49 AM

Originally Posted by rusty
how does one figure out which filter is better? keep your honda a honda ! buy the oem filter
Go to bobistheoilguy.com and search oil filters. Plenty of pics of cut open filters showing the internal construction, or lack thereof...

Old 03-06-2011, 01:26 PM

I buy six-packs of Honda filters from HandAaccessories.com, and get my Mobil 1 from Walmart.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:08 PM
Newest Of Newbies

I use Walmart's Supertech oil and filters on everything I work on! Cheap price but great quality!

Quick Reply: Oil and filter questions