General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

oil leak??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2006, 02:17 AM
bre240z
Unregistered
Default oil leak??????

Hello everyone im new at these forums so please be nice to me lol. I did a lot of searching on oil leaks on here and did not find what i was looking for, so hopefuly someone can help me out with this one. Anyways i have 1996 accord 4cyl vtec 4dr auto trans. Car has 140,000 miles. I just replaced timing belt, balance shaft belt, crank/cam/oil pump seals, valve cover gasket and water pump.... i did not replace balance shaft seal, i know i know i should have.

Ok i have an oil leak that i have no idea where its coming from. I checked the seals that i replaced and all are good. When i took the timing cover off to check there was oil on the inside. Im sure that none of the seals are leaking. I see oil in the rear driver side of the block like in between the head and block and im asuming it drips down to the timing cover and to transmission. I thought it was coming from the valve cover but its not. The only place i could think of is maybe from the balance shaft seal since i didnt replace but i dont think it would get oil all over these places. Most of the oil i notice it in the driver side. Is there any other gasket or seal or anything that might be leaking in that area...??Ive gotten unber car but its kinda hard to tell where its coming from. Its hard to explain this oil leak. I have a 1991 accord in the past and i had the exact same leak and never found out where it was coming from. Help me out guys email me any tips can help. Thank you

Old 11-15-2006, 03:01 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member
Default RE: oil leak??????

if oil leak is at the back of engine , driver side, between head and valve cover i would check the CAM seal again ..if valve cover gasket is 0k
the balancer shaft seal would not get oil that far up and neither the crank or oil pump seals
also tranny is on the opposite side so , if it is the cam seal oil would not drip down as far as tranny ,,

Old 11-15-2006, 12:06 PM
bre240z
Unregistered

Is it possible for the head gasket to leak oil? Most of the oil i see is on the rear driver side of the block... Its just weird how if it would be from cam seal how oil would get to the rear of the block. Theres a tube thats right behing the water pump that runs from the driver side to the other side of the block, right on top of that like in the corner of the head and block thats where i see the most oil leaking. So its hard to believe that the oil leak is coming for anywhere inside the timing cover area, but i might be wrong. Ive heard people say of changing the o-ring inside the oil filter housing or checking the oil sending switch....???? Its just weird how theres oil in many places. Thanks guys.

Old 11-15-2006, 12:17 PM

if it is coming from between the head and the block it is not the oil filter housing gasket,, there is a separator inside the upper timing belt cover, another [plastic piece that bolts on the head , behing the t-belt that if the cam seal leaks will not let oil go to t-belt belt but rerout it on the outside .. most noticable you will see oil just above the weater pump and comong down the block......

you were just there,, i would chk the cam seal ,,before i condemn antthing else

Old 11-15-2006, 02:02 PM

I just purchased a 94 w 207k miles. After 5 days it's gushing oil from the front of the motor. It looks pretty far up the t-belt cover, see photo. Any ideas? look like the cam seal? I'm going to get out my new Haynes manual snf get the belt cover off.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6579/1A3E11F38BFF4C6B9FCFD1BFE5F738B8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-15-2006, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator

For bre240z

I had an oil leak coming from the back of my block and it ends up dripping from my oil pan.

I was nervous that it might be the head gasket, but it wasn't. When I jacked up the car and felt the highest point that still had oil, there was the oil pressure switch. These are known to fail and cause an oil leak.

If you have a service manual, then it will show you where it is located. Its above my oil filter, high on the block.

For any oil leak, you should try to feel around for the highest point that is covered in oil. The leak should be around that area, unless there are moving parts nearby.

Good Luck

Old 11-15-2006, 08:54 PM

ORIGINAL: brayner

I just purchased a 94 w 207k miles. After 5 days it's gushing oil from the front of the motor. It looks pretty far up the t-belt cover, see photo. Any ideas? look like the cam seal? I'm going to get out my new Haynes manual snf get the belt cover off.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6579/1A3E11F38BFF4C6B9FCFD1BFE5F738B8.jpg[/IMG]
could be the balancer shaft seal......Honda 94-97 is notorious for that .......they had a recall where they installed a retainer on the seal to prevent it from popping out

Old 11-15-2006, 11:08 PM
bre240z
Unregistered

thanks guys for the tips. I will be checking the car again this weekend. Like i said the only seal i did not change was the balance seal and yea ill check the oil pressure switch. This oil leak is just weird and driving me crazy. Anyway where are most of you guys from... Im from LA CALI im not sure where most people on here are from. Ok guys ill keep you posted. PEACE!

Old 11-26-2006, 04:27 AM
bre240z
Unregistered

aight guys i finally got to check to see where the oil leak was coming from and it was actually the cam seal. so pretty much i took my car to a friends shop and put the car up in a hoist cleaned it up and started and bam found the leak coming from the cam seal. So i replaced it and no more leaks. Now theres another problem..... im getting this squeaking noise. Before i had change the cam seal i was getting this noise. First if i bought some belt dressing spray and sprayed the belts like alt, power steering belts and nothing. First i thought since i had this oil leak and when i took the timing cover off to replace seal there was oil all over the covers and timing belt and i though well maybe since the belts got oily and maybe also the belt tensioners maybe some how the oil damaged them and made them noisey. So today i replaced alt and power steering belts, timing belt and balance belt and both tensioners and clean the area really good started the car and im still getting that noise like if its a bearing or a belt. So i took off both alt and power steering belts to see if maybe the alt, power steering pump or a/c pump was bad and nope noise was still there. What can this noise be???? Its freaken anoying, at idle you cant hear it but when im driving as the rmp's rise you can hear it like if its a worn belt or bearing. To me it sounds like if its coming from the driver side like by the pumps and the timing cover. What else should i check for? Im so pist off cause i just spent all this money in buying these new parts and ive taken timing covers and timing belts off for like the 3rd time now and i dont wana have do it again. Seems like i fix one thing and bam another thing seems to go wrong. HELP!!!!

Old 11-26-2006, 10:19 AM

what side of engine? is the noise coming from? could be an accessory going out......

Quick Reply: oil leak??????