General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

oil leak??????

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2006, 01:34 PM
bre240z
Unregistered
Default RE: oil leak??????

Driver side of the engine is where the noise seems to be coming from.

Old 11-26-2006, 01:42 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

most likely one of your accessories on the drive line...does the pitch change with engine speed? (put the car in neutral and gently gas the engine a little) or with driving speed?

Old 11-27-2006, 03:58 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

ORIGINAL: bre240z

aight guys i finally got to check to see where the oil leak was coming from and it was actually the cam seal.
glad that you got it handled........
As for the noise if you got both outer belts off ( alt + p/s ) and noise is still there,, than most likely noise is coming from inside t-belt cover ,, ( 1 or both belts too tight ?? t-belt or balancer . ) cover gasket out of place and rubbing ?? upper cover backing rubbing on cam pulley ??
remove the upper t-belt cover and start the car see if noise still there ..also with cover off , it might give you a better idea

Old 11-27-2006, 05:00 PM
bre240z
Unregistered

Well its weird, the noise is sometimes there in the morning when i start the car and you can hear it at idle and ofcourse when im driving and after a while the noise goes away. Then sometimes theres no noise in the morning ill get to work and wont hear it at all, then when i get off work ill hear and after a while of driving i can hardly hear it. For the noise pitch...well it does change as the rmp's go up, i would say from 1000-3000 i can still hear it but like on the free way cant really hear the noise. So basically noise comes and goes. How much tension should both T-belts have? and can i adjust the tension on the belts with out taking every dam thing off like covers and droppin the engine from driver side? Its crazy how people know about certain cars.... i build and work on Datsuns and i know them like the back of my hand but with honda wow diferent story alot more stuff going on and a lil more work to work on. So i gota say thanks to you guys for helping me out here.

Old 11-27-2006, 08:05 PM

get a piece of a broom handle (or just but a cheap wooden ice scraper and cut the crap off it) so you just have a short solid wooden stick, start the car and put the handle against the timing belt cover and the other end against your ear to see if you can pin point the noise. I'd also stick it on the water pump just to make sure that it's not the water pump pulley or something... that's a good way to at least see where exactly it is coming from.