General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil Leprchaun revisited - update

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 07:11 PM
Default Oil Leprchaun revisited - update

Ok, so my 2001 EX 5 speed had major oil issues, as in light came on (first time ever), put oil in, 2 weeks or so later, light back on. No leaky spots on driveway.

Found leaky valve cover gasket (replaced and doubled up with rubber gasket plus sealant), distributor O-ring leak (replaced).

Cleaned up the engine.

Valve cover and O-ring are good but found two spots of concern.

Issue 1 - cleaned up the oil pan prior to putting her back in service. Area around oil plug is coated with oil with two "droplets" getting ready to drop (although they don't seem to make the driveway). Concern is, just changed oil, new plug washer and not overtightened, I have had issues before with places torquing the snot out of it. Since that area is under constant strain from the bolt and the tightening/untightening can it get weak and eventually leak like that? Meaning new oil pan needed.

Issue 2 - only other place of new fresh oil found was under the crankshaft pulley at the very bottom of the timing belt cover. You can see in the pic (I took the liberty of circling it just in case you couldn't see the obvious) where the droplet is forming. This drip, would drip right on one of the crossmember/brace type things, which could explain the coating of oil on it and why it wouldn't reach the ground. So I am thinking either crankshaft seal or possibly oil pump seal?

when I was investigating before, I took a peek in the upper timing belt cover and didn't see any oil on the belt, bone dry in-fact. But since gravity is in play would it all just drain down but I would think with all the moving parts the belt would still be covered or have residue.

Timing belt and seals were done 4/2010 and about 50,000 miles ago.

Thoughts?

Attached Thumbnails Oil Leprchaun revisited - update-oil-leak.jpg  

Last edited by mamtsberg; 05-30-2013 at 07:16 PM.
Old 05-30-2013, 11:27 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

Originally Posted by mamtsberg
when I was investigating before, I took a peek in the upper timing belt cover and didn't see any oil on the belt, bone dry in-fact. But since gravity is in play would it all just drain down but I would think with all the moving parts the belt would still be covered or have residue.
The timing belt stays dry even if a seal(s) is leaking. The oil sticks to the oil pump casting and eventually makes its way down to where your pic shows the drip. If you don't see any oil leaking out of the camshaft seal, then the problem is the front balance shaft seal, crankshaft seal, or the rear balance shaft gearbox o-ring. The lower cover has to come off to pinpoint the leak.

How much oil consumption over how many miles? If you don't see any big oil leaks on the driveway but are going through a couple of quarts every two weeks then its likely the engine is burning oil.

Old 05-31-2013, 12:18 AM

The original issue was to address the missing oil. It has always burned the "normal" amount for an Accord (maybe a quart between oil changes 7,000 miles or so). But the latest oil burn was almost 5 qts in less than 1000 miles.

The valve cover and dist. O-ring were definite leaks which obviously wouldn't cause spots on the driveway.

Having cleaned it all off and can now see the two actual "drip" points has me trying to figure out the next step.

I can try a new oil plug and washer and see if that helps, if not might be time for pan replacement, no big deal.

The other, is obviously more labor intensive (and garage space intensive) and might was well change the timing belt too (only 3 yr/50,000 on it now, so not really needing it but if it's open, wth).

Right now it's only got a couple hundred miles since the gasket and o-ring work. Giving it to the wife tomorrow (cringe) and she'll put a bazillion miles on it shopping this weekend.