General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil light on. Any other ways to check pressure? etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2010, 03:27 PM

Well, I took off the oil pan and the oil pickup. The screen inside had a black oil sheen over it, which immediately came off when I stuck a paper towel in there and wiped it around.
Is there a way to clean the other half of the screen not visible through the oil pickup?
I didn't see any gunk or particles stuck in that half of the screen, just that black oil covering the screen.

JimBlake, where exactly is that relief valve/spring?

Thanks

Old 11-11-2010, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

#16 is the valve.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:21 PM

I would look for replacement used engine with lesser mileage if I were you, or complete overhaul of the current engine.

Old 11-11-2010, 07:37 PM

Well, I cleaned the screen, put the pan back on, took the oil pressure sender out, and plumbed in an oil pressure gauge. When I turned the car on, there was absolutely no oil pressure, so I shut it off. I tried it again, revving it up this time, and there was still no pressure. Don't worry! It was only running for about 30 seconds max.

What does this mean?

Old 11-11-2010, 08:36 PM

Remove all of spark plugs, disable the ignition system, remove oil pressure switch and crank engine with engine oil in the pan. oil should pour out from the hole vacated by removing the switch. If no oil is coming out, your oil pump is not working,,,,.

If this is the case, I really recommend to look for replacement engine. It seems like you have done more damage to the engine you have already.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:18 AM
Super Moderator

You can try replacing the oil pump. Since your car runs, you may be ok.

Oil pumps, from what I have read, rarely fail, but I think yours has failed. You can try installing a used one from a junkyard. If your engine runs well after reassembling, then all is well. I would not start the engine again until you replace the oil pump.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:41 AM

In the industry I am in, the rule of thumb is 30 seconds. If you run your engine more than that, engine tear down and inspection is called for.

This engine was run possibly in such condition before OP had his hand on it. He run it a minute or two. Then he started it up and run. Then he rev-ed it up to see if there would be a pressure.

I don't think OP has found the real cause of camshaft issue yet. It could be due to failed oil pump, but oil pump does not fail on its own, usually.

Old 11-12-2010, 09:00 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by 45below
JimBlake, where exactly is that relief valve/spring?
Look at the underside of the oil pump, the plug (#18) will look like a big bolt head. See it in the picture I put in the post?

That bypass valve is supposed to regulate the oil pressure. But if the spring (#17) is broken, ALL the oil bypasses around the pump instead of getting pumped out to the engine.

The spring might be broken, or maybe the plunger (#16) might be stuck so the spring can't push it up where it belongs.

Old 11-13-2010, 02:20 AM

Thanks. I pulled the bypass valve out. The spring still looks fine. I then put a bucket of oil up around the pickup, then had somebody turn the engine over to see if the oil pump would spurt oil out of the bypass valve hole. (The spark plug wires were out so the engine wouldn't start.)

I didn't get any oil at all to come out of the hole where the bypass valve goes. Does the oil pump rout it somewhere else?
What would make the oil pump not pump any oil at all?
Thanks

Old 11-13-2010, 08:53 PM
Super Moderator

Take off the oil pickup - see if it's either obstructed or has a leak. Any kind of opening would be like trying to drink out of a straw that has a hole above the water line.

Quick Reply: Oil light on. Any other ways to check pressure? etc.