General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil light on. Any other ways to check pressure? etc.

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2010, 05:01 PM

Sorry I haven't replied in a while.

maachan513, after further though, I've run the car for about 20 seconds since putting it all back together. I don't know how long it was ran before I got it though, so I see your point. I don't have enough extra money for another engine though, so I'm going to take this as far as it goes... we'll see what happens.

I'm currently taking off the oil pump. I'll replace that and see what happens. That's really the only other thing it can be right?? Unless there's a blockage in the line somewhere...

Old 11-19-2010, 07:10 PM

Well, I got the oil pump off.

I took it apart, and everything looks great. The two gear-looking things (12, 13) inside turn nicely and mesh together as they are supposed to. The only thing I did notice was the outer casing (9) looked like it had been superheated. Most of it was nice and smooth as normal, but there was a large portion (A little less than half of it) that was very rough to the touch, and it looked like a large netting of tiny cracks. On the inside, in that same area, a couple of these shown through. Could this be my problem? Remember that these are extremely small... the largest being maybe 1/8 of an inch.

Other than that, the oil pump looks great.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:32 PM

There should not be no scoring or wear on gears and housing. Every part of inside the pump must be smooth with proper clearances that specified on the service manual.

I know everyone is tight with wallet. I am one of them as well.

Good luck with your engine. Like other people suggest, you may be OK with just changing the pump.

Watch out for any blockage on the oil control orifice located between the block and the head. I lost a head on a Civic long time ago because of small RTV sealant that found its way there and blocked oil flow to the head. That spec of RTV was found after the replacement cylinder head was toasted because of lack of lubrication.

Old 11-19-2010, 07:33 PM

Thanks. I'll replace that cover.
You know... I never primed the oil pump. It sat without oil for... a couple weeks at least. Could it be something as simple as me not priming the oil pump??

Old 11-19-2010, 07:46 PM

I think the damge on the pump was there before the engine sat.

Old 11-19-2010, 09:02 PM

Hm.. well, other than the cracks, there isn't any visible damage. Should I go ahead and buy another oil pump? I wish there was a way I could know for sure there was something wrong with it before I spent the money though..

Old 11-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Super Moderator

I would say yes, since you didn't find an obvious plugged up oil passage.

The oil pressure is also controlled by the clearances on the main and rod bearings. If the bearings were toast, then that could cause low oil pressure. I don't think it would cause no oil pressure though.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:06 AM

Originally Posted by 45below
Hm.. well, other than the cracks, there isn't any visible damage. Should I go ahead and buy another oil pump? I wish there was a way I could know for sure there was something wrong with it before I spent the money though..
How to inspect the oil pump should be included in the service manual, although I don't know it for sure. Mainly what you need to look for is the condition of surfaces. They must be smooth and shall be no cracks, no scoring. You need to measure side clearance using straight edge and filler gage. You need to check clearance between the tips of gears/rotors to the walls. Specification shall be on the manual.

Old 11-20-2010, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by PAhonda
I would say yes, since you didn't find an obvious plugged up oil passage.

The oil pressure is also controlled by the clearances on the main and rod bearings. If the bearings were toast, then that could cause low oil pressure. I don't think it would cause no oil pressure though.
His oil didn't get that far to the bearings, but the way he had operated this engine without oil pressure, the barrings may be toast already. Since he cannot afford another engine, the pump replacement is the option as it seems for now. I just hope that will do the trick for him.

Old 11-20-2010, 08:06 PM
Super Moderator

Did you check to see how the pump rotor is keyed to the crankshaft? Is that locked in place properly?

Quick Reply: Oil light on. Any other ways to check pressure? etc.