General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil pooling, leak issue?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:32 PM
Default Oil pooling, leak issue?

Hey I have a 97 accord f22b2 engine!

So I have a small leak to the right of the fuel rail, and to the left of the timing belt I have pics if needed.

So I pulled the valve cover, and noticed there is oil pooling across the crankshaft housing "the shaft is sitting in a pool of oil" is this normal or should it drain back to the oil pan once the car is turned off? And could this be why the oil is leaking? If you look at the engine from the driver side tire, it's leaking onto the block right behide the timing belt, to the right of the fuel rail. Also I have recently replaced the valve cover gasket and upper plug seals

Old 06-26-2011, 04:57 PM
Super Moderator

post a pic of the leak and the pool of oil.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:25 PM

hey PA, you have seen the leak pic, ill post it again. as far as the pool pic, is i had trouble putting the gasket back on and unfortunatly need it to go from place to place. but i added a generic pic to get an idea of whats going on. so the oil fills up the mid section where the shaft is and you can only see a little over a half of the top of the shaft, what was unsettling is that if you rock the car the oil sloshes back and forth like a little mini wave...

Name:  988tg7.jpg
Views: 180
Size:  61.7 KB
Name:  IMG00014-20110620-1907.jpg
Views: 194
Size:  90.3 KB

Old 06-26-2011, 05:33 PM
Super Moderator

I don't think the cylinder head should be filled up with oil like you are describing. There should be drains that allow oil to flow back to the oil filter. Have you changed the oil filter recently?

I know that you have other posts dealing with this car. What other work have you done on the car?

Old 06-26-2011, 05:49 PM

i was thinking the same thing as to why i posted, i changed the gasket about a week and a half ago, and it wasnt in this condition.

i got the car recently, it runs and drives fine. so far ive changed plugs, wires and the valve cover gasket and upper plug seals. and the old cold air filter was really bad so i changed that also, i do need to change the oil filter, and oil. and some other things but currently low on cash though

ooh and i replaced the coolant temp switch...

Last edited by phatboyslim2012; 06-26-2011 at 06:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 06:14 PM
Super Moderator

Which gasket, the valve cover or the cylinder head gasket?

The easiest item to test is the oil filter. If you remove the VC, then you can remove the oil filter to see if the oil drains quickly from the cylinder head.

Old 06-26-2011, 06:23 PM

it was the valve cover gasket, when i got the car the oil and coolant was pretty low, so i wouldnt doubt the filter is clogged up, as soon as i get the oil changed ill take pics of before and after.

Old 06-27-2011, 02:54 PM

hey pa...

im going to be changing my oil today, im thinking of using penzoil high mileage and a fram filter, probably a tough guard. i know cars run better with certain oils, you have any preference on oil?

also is there anything else i should pick up cheap, like a pcv valve etc. ive done a bit toward a tuneup like plugs, wires, air filter, and the distributer looks new.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:37 PM
Super Moderator

As long as you change the oil and filter at the proper intervals, and use the correct weight oil, then I wouldn't worry about brand names for the oil and filter. The recommended oil weight is 5w-30 (should say that on the oil fill cap too).

Old 06-27-2011, 07:51 PM

i used the penzoil high mileage 5w30, and the fram toughguard filter, so i let the oil drain for 15 minutes or so to get as much gunk out as possible, the filter was bad, goop and sludgy oil came out, but the cylinder head didnt drain when i pulled the filter, nor any oil drained for that matter. after the new filter was put on and oil was put in, i started the car and let it run for about 5 minutes, then checked the oil level it was a very little over the top hole, and the end of the stick had dark oil on it (old) the rest was new oil. i believe it circulated out of the cylinder head as i only put 4 quarts in, and from what i understand it takes from 4.2 to 4.5 quarts of oil. also when i drove it before i could smell oil, when i took it out after i changed the oil i could not smell it, one more thing. before i changed the oil the sound of the rockers was getting more pronounced, like when you first turn the car on in cold weather before the oil circulates, anyway after the change, you could hear the rockers pronounced, then as the new oil started circulating the sound diminished.

Last edited by phatboyslim2012; 06-27-2011 at 07:56 PM.

Quick Reply: Oil pooling, leak issue?