General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil pressure light

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 AM
Default RE: Oil pressure light

Jiffy Lube has also been busted by news crews who verified they paid for work done on their car and nothing at all was done. The vehicle just sat there and they didn't even touch it, then they billed them anyway.
I would never trust Jiffy Lube. If I were you I would try to find a respectable mechanic or begin DIYing basic things.
Come on man, you are a Mechanical Engineer! Buy a jack & some jackstands or ramps andsome mechanic's toolsand you can do this stuff yourself! That way you will know for sure that the oil and filter has actually been changed. Plus DIYing it costs about 1/2 as much as paying an oil change place (and hopin they actually change the oil.) If you must use oil change places, ask them to show you the new oil filter before they install it. Also ask to see the new oil level on the dipstick. But I always say: "If you want something done right, better do it youself."

Old 01-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Default RE: Oil pressure light

ORIGINAL: 00AccordLX5spd

If I were you I would try to find a respectable mechanic or begin DIYing basic things.
Come on man, you are a Mechanical Engineer! Buy a jack & some jackstands or ramps andsome mechanic's toolsand you can do this stuff yourself! That way you will know for sure that the oil and filter has actually been changed. Plus DIYing it costs about 1/2 as much as paying an oil change place (and hopin they actually change the oil.) If you must use oil change places, ask them to show you the new oil filter before they install it. Also ask to see the new oil level on the dipstick. But I always say: "If you want something done right, better do it youself."
It's my girlfriend's car, she has always taken it to Jiffy Lube before. I take my own car there just because my oil filter is a giant pain in the *** to get to. In the case of my car, I figure it is worth the time saved to have it done.

I did change the oil, filter, and pressure switch in the Accord a couple of days ago. No more light so far. I put 10W-30 oil in it, so the higher viscosity may be what is making the difference. But whatever, it's still running for now.