General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.

Oil in spark plug wires - Fix

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2006, 04:23 PM
Default Oil in spark plug wires - Fix

Does anyone know if i can just change the upper seals (the ones under the valve cover) to solve my problem with oil getting to my plug wires? I can easily tell that thats where the problem is.
Of course I would replace the valve cover gasket as well since the seals are in the set.

This will be my first DIY project on my 92 accord.

Thanks for any advice,
Jr

Old 06-16-2006, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator
Default RE: Oil in spark plug wires - Fix

Valve cover gasket is pretty good for a first DIY since it's pretty easy. Don't over-tighten the hold-down bolts, they break pretty easy. What are they, 12 lbf*ft or something like that?

There's a good chance that the oil is leaking thru the tube seals on the valve cover. But if it still leaks, there's another set of seals (smaller O-rings) that are down lower in the spark plug tubes; they're #19 in the picture. You have to take off the rocker assemblies, so this isn't really for the beginner.

Old 06-16-2006, 04:57 PM

Thanks for the reply Jim.

I can see that the leak is coming from the tube seals on the valve cover. Can I just replace these without replacing the smaller O-rings on the bottom?
Will this stop the leak?

thanks again.

Old 06-16-2006, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: jrcastro
... Can I just replace these...
Yes, that's what I'd do. If you find it's still leaking from the lower seals, you'll have to remove the VC all over again, but that's really not too much work to re-do.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:55 AM

Thanks.

Will oil leak when i take of the valve cover? Do i have to do an oil change?

Old 06-19-2006, 03:24 AM
Administrator

Good post there Jim Blake, Thank you for helping out another member...they really appreciate it when someone steps up and gives out good info and a great diagram of the job to be done.

WheelBrokerAng [sm=americanasmiley.gif]

Old 06-19-2006, 09:48 AM
Been Around A Long Time Member

you can buy the complete valve cover kit from Honda for about $30. This will include

valve cover gasket
tube seals
grommets

You do not have to change the oil. If you let the engine sit for a while it wll be a lot easier since engine is not hot and oil will have drained down. there will be a little spillage but nothing major. You can change the oil if you want but it is not required. It is also a good time to change your plugs since you are right there anyways

One important tip

DO NOT OVER TIGHTEN. Most of these parts are neoprine and will split if you over tighten them.

Old 06-19-2006, 12:00 PM
Super Moderator

When you take off the valve cover, you'll get a few drips but nothing you can't handle with a rag. Be careful you don't drop crud into the camshaft area, so maybe clean up the area a little bit first.

If that doesn't work, & it's still leaking from those lower seals, post back. Taking off the rocker assemblies & camshaft caps isn't for a beginner. You'll want to get a shop manual (www.helminc.com) & make sure you know the proper bolt torques & tightening sequence.

Old 06-19-2006, 04:28 PM
zukiya
Unregistered

I think thats wat was wrong with my 96 accord lx. I was told that i need my front engine oil seal changed. it is an excessive oil leak with my car, and the oil won't stay in there even 5 minutes with the car started up. Is this a hard task to do? I was also told that to change this, u would have to take the timing belt and a whole lot of other parts out just to get to the seal (the crank). Is this true?

Old 06-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Been Around A Long Time Member

if you are due for a belt or even close, you might as well get it done at the same time as the cost will not be that much more (they gotta take all that stuff off to get to it.

Quick Reply: Oil in spark plug wires - Fix